Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some old 186 chevy heads. when they were on my chevelle they ran nice. there is a crack in the chamber around the exhaust valve area. it leaked water in the chamber. is this worth having someone look at it? is this something someone can weld? would it be reliable after that?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe if they are aluminum, probably not. Definitely not if they are cast iron.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you sure?

that is what i thought too. buti was talking to a guy the other day and he said sure you can weld heads. anybodys else hae a view on this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
welding cast iron heads

yes you can have your heads welded by a competent machinist.
i've seen this done before. they will be placed in a brick oven, heated until they are cherry red, welded by an insane guy while they are still in the oven, cooled off very slowly, then have EVERY machined surface remachined back to specs. that cyl head isn't worth the expense.
it'd be cheaper to just find another head...mel

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Re: welding cast iron heads

nlmsc33 said:
yes you can have your heads welded by a competent machinist.
i've seen this done before. they will be placed in a brick oven, heated until they are cherry red, welded by an insane guy while they are still in the oven, cooled off very slowly, then have EVERY machined surface remachined back to specs. that cyl head isn't worth the expense.
it'd be cheaper to just find another head...mel

Cast welding is an art form. Very few people can do it effectively. An alternative to welding is metal stitching. I do it often, and I am up to date on the latest techniques. I have repaired hundreds of heads with stitching, and I have had them cast welded also (furnace weld).

Ray's Cracked Head in Seymour Indiana is very adept at welding cast iron , and at a very reasonable in price.

To learn more about cast welding and metal stitching try www.locknstitch.com

Brian

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I once had a rare "DZ" numbered block welded. It had been run with a blown headgasket and a groove was between two adjacent cylinders. It was gas welded with I believe a nickle rod. The block was then decked and the tops of each cylinder were worked with a ridge reamer. I reassembled the engine with new rings, bearings and such and ran that 302 for tens years until like a dummy:rolleyes: , I sold the Camaro.

Vince

·
brains
1,009 Posts
It's more of a myth that your cant weld cast iron heads.

There are so many new rod products that have come out in the last 5 years, welding cast iron is easier then it has ever been. I welded a set of mopar heads not too long ago and its still in use with no problems.

Here is a site that carrys cast iron rod.

http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html

Ben

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have never talked to someone who has done any powder torch repairs on cast iron heads, but I think it would work well. I once saw a demonstration on welding cast iron with a powder torch and it worked very well. You have to grind out the crack so that the material can be replaced, but when done you have effectively replaced the material with new cast iron.

Aluminum heads can be welded all day long.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have had success welding cast iron turbine housings and exhaust manifold using nickel rod with the TIG. So far no failures. The place NAIRB mentioned is probably a good bet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, was I wrong. Sorry about the misinformation, it was my understanding the you could even weld cast iron at all and if you were able to that it wouldn't hold up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great information

thanks everyone!!! you have giving me hope for those heads. now the cost is a factor. i will definitely look into the process. maybe a little more research into the 186 casting to see if they are truely worth the trouble and expense. again, thanks everyone!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts