Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Muncie 4spd and if I, say, turn a corner in 3rd, go to neutral and then try to go to 2nd, the tranny won't take it. The only way to go to 2nd is from 1st. So you gotta go 1st and then strait to 2nd. Let's say you go 1st, neutral, then it won't take 2nd. I gotta shift from 1st directly to 2nd for it to take it and it goes like butter. No weird noises or anything like that. The tranny feels solid, no dropping out of gear or anything strange (well, besides the described behavior).

According to the previous owner, the Muncie has recently been rebuilt. I have not verified that info.

Has anyone experienced this behavior and what could that be a sign of?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment, or you have worn or missing shifter bushings.

Do you know how to align the shift linkage and reset it, and how to lock the shifter mechanism centered up in the nuetral gate?

(38) Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter: Hurst Pit Pack Install & Linkage Adjustment - YouTube
Yessir, I know how to align it and will happily do that. But I am just curious as to how that would prevent my going from neutral to 2nd. I mean I know there is a mechnism there that prevents you being in 2 gears at the same time, but wouldn't I have to still be in 1st? When I am in neutral, it feels like neutral. Could you please explain?

·
More for Less Racer
19,961 Posts
Miss adjusted(or sloppy bushing) 1-2 shift rod will leave the gate in the shifter hanging just a bit out of alignment, it doesn't take but a hair to make it run afoul of the spring loaded button inside the shifter mechanism.

Plus external linkage is just the first place to start, if if doesn't help then you likely have to look inside the trans at the shift shaft detent system inside the side cover for wear, weak spring, or bent parts.

The fact 1st to 2nd is "like butter" takes the syncro's and other geartrain issues out of the picture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miss adjusted(or sloppy bushing) 1-2 shift rod will leave the gate in the shifter hanging just a bit out of alignment, it doesn't take but a hair to make it run afoul of the spring loaded button inside the shifter mechanism.

Plus external linkage is just the first place to start, if if doesn't help then you likely have to look inside the trans at the shift shaft detent system inside the side cover for wear, weak spring, or bent parts.

The fact 1st to 2nd is "like butter" takes the syncro's and other geartrain issues out of the picture.
Makes perfect sense. I will get new bushings and readjust that sucker. Thank you.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,726 Posts
I'm guessing that the blocker ring is sitting too low on the cone and not working correctly. I've had T5 transmissions that would do this, and when I replaced the blocker rings they shifted great again. Maybe when it was rebuilt they used cheap rings and they don't fit correctly, or it may just be damaged from shifting hard into 2nd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing that the blocker ring is sitting too low on the cone and not working correctly. I've had T5 transmissions that would do this, and when I replaced the blocker rings they shifted great again. Maybe when it was rebuilt they used cheap rings and they don't fit correctly, or it may just be damaged from shifting hard into 2nd.
Will look into this one after I readjust the rods considering the problem percists. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the transmission goes from 1st to 2nd with no problem, logically it would seem that its mechanically correct inside. I would try unhooking your linkage while you have it in 3rd gear . Be careful not to move the levers any while unhooking it.......maybe remove the clips from the linkage first and just leave the linkage in arms. Once the linkage is removed from the shifting arms, try to move the levers with your hand and see if it goes into second reasonably easy. That way you have removed the shift linkage from the equation. You may need to raise the rear end and have someone operate the clutch with the engine running in order to duplicate the actual conditions. Be careful and use good stands on level ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts