Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a hot rod but- My daughter has an 85 Blazer 4wd, v6 with carb., ps, pb, auto trans. Engine has app. 20,000 miles since rebuild. This only happens about 1 out of 10 times. When you decelerate and brake to turn right the engine dies. It doesn't do it when you are turning left. Speed makes no difference, you can be going 20 to 60 mph. You can immediately put it in neutral and it starts right up. Since we live in the mountains with steep hills and sharp curves this is a big problem. I raised the idle speed, no help, can't find any vacuum leaks, and can't find anything that turning right effects.
any ideas??
Jack
Forgot to say that I also replaced plugs, dist. cap and wires, and checked timing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've heard of that problem before. As best as I can remember it was the carb. What about the carb I can't remember. I'll call my brother and see if he remembers.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Fuel level

Doc here :pimp:

Do you remember what the fuel tank level was last time this occurred?

Was it low?

It sounds to me like the fuel is draining away from the sump in the tank in a hard right..maybe due to a defective, plugged or bent sump screen...

Try it again at various levels of fuel and see where it occurs..then check the tank sump.

Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
i have an 86 s-10 blazer and when i make a hard turn it will stall if the fuel level is low. anywhere under 1/4

·
Registered
159 Posts
WoodsEdge said:
It's not a hot rod but- My daughter has an 85 Blazer 4wd, v6 with carb., ps, pb, auto trans. Engine has app. 20,000 miles since rebuild. This only happens about 1 out of 10 times. When you decelerate and brake to turn right the engine dies. It doesn't do it when you are turning left. Speed makes no difference, you can be going 20 to 60 mph. You can immediately put it in neutral and it starts right up. Since we live in the mountains with steep hills and sharp curves this is a big problem. I raised the idle speed, no help, can't find any vacuum leaks, and can't find anything that turning right effects.
any ideas??
Jack
Forgot to say that I also replaced plugs, dist. cap and wires, and checked timing.
Try checking all wires to ya auto for loose or dirty connections,,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. It does this no matter how much gas is in the tank. Drove it yesterday with a full tank- still stalled. Also thought about float level but wouldn't it also stall in a right turn under acceleration. I've also check wiring and can't find anything.
Jack

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
I agree with Simo, start looking at connections. Had something like this happen with a motorcycle (1000 miles from home). Thing died on us so I am looking for the problem and can't find it. Things running fine, so she hops on the back and it dies. Turned out that her weight was pushing the footpeg into an exposed connection.

Maybe when you are turning, the roll of the body is causing a short or open connection somewhere.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Lonestar said:
I agree with Simo, start looking at connections. Had something like this happen with a motorcycle (1000 miles from home). Thing died on us so I am looking for the problem and can't find it. Things running fine, so she hops on the back and it dies. Turned out that her weight was pushing the footpeg into an exposed connection.

Maybe when you are turning, the roll of the body is causing a short or open connection somewhere.
Onya Lonestar,,, you have experienced a dirty wire or two (2(
theres a bad (dirty) wire swingin in the breeze somewhere,,,...
Open circuit,,..

·
Registered
169 Posts
So I talked to my brother. He had a similar problem with his '85 Jimmy, it turned out to be the float in the carb. It was one of those plastic floats that will eventually turn into a carb sink.(the float gets degraded by gasoline and will eventually become neutrally bouyant) He replaced the float with a brass one and didn't have a problem. Mind you, he only drove it with that engine for about a month before he replaced it with a 5.7L.

The wiring problem may also be the cause, so don't discount it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll take the carb. apart and check. Think I've traced every wire at least twice and found nothing. Don't see why it would quit only when you are decelerating in a right turn but I'm ready to try anything.
Jack

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
WoodsEdge said:
Thanks for the replies. It does this no matter how much gas is in the tank. Drove it yesterday with a full tank- still stalled. Also thought about float level but wouldn't it also stall in a right turn under acceleration. I've also check wiring and can't find anything.
Jack
It depends on which way the float hangs.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Might be a wire or battery cable that's hanging close enough to something to ground out if it moves slightly to the left or forward during a right turn or braking. I had a starter cable that had its insulation melted by a header, & on an accelerating right turn it would sometimes (not all the time) swing to the left & hit the header, causing a transient but complete shutdown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts