Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've searched and searched for some info. on a TH350 , but all I can find is swapping tranies, 700r4's and so on. My question is , is it possible for dirt or gasket particles that are in the pan to get sucked up into the transmission past the filter? :confused: Please note that I know very very little about tranies , so my apologizes if this is a basic question. thanks. :embarrass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
poncho62, the reason I was asking is because when I dropped the pan there was a bunch of gasket pieces floating around in the trans. fluid. I'm hoping that those pieces didn't work its' way up into the trans. (I did clean the pan out ). Well hopefully if I have time I will put the pan back on and see if my problem is fixed... thanks a bunch.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,635 Posts
I would be more concerned bif there were any metal particles floating around, or attached to the magnet.

BTW, what is the problem with the tranny?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,122 Posts
JJ350 said:
poncho62, the reason I was asking is because when I dropped the pan there was a bunch of gasket pieces floating around in the trans. fluid. I'm hoping that those pieces didn't work its' way up into the trans. (I did clean the pan out ). Well hopefully if I have time I will put the pan back on and see if my problem is fixed... thanks a bunch.

I wonder if what you think are 'gasket pieces" are really friction material pieces off the clutch packs........?


I say this since you have mentioned you know very very little aboutt automatic trannys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CROSLEY, you could be right. But looking at the gasket there were chunks missing in the inner parts of the gasket. I didn't have time to put the pan back on and see if the trans. will engage into a gear. Also when my truck was running last year there were no signs of trans slipping. Wouldn't there be a gradual problem with the trans or could it just stop all together?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I put the pan back on and guess what... nothing. I dropped the pan again yesterday and removed the valve body making sure there wasn't any gasket material and such in there, it was clean. Put everything back on and the only change I found is when I run through the gears (with truck off) it's firmer. Anyway , I have one more question. Is there anyway to narrow down the issue with this thing? As I've stated in my last posts when I put the truck in gear I can't feel it engaging. Could this be some internal linkage?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,122 Posts
JJ350 said:
Well, I put the pan back on and guess what... nothing. I dropped the pan again yesterday and removed the valve body making sure there wasn't any gasket material and such in there, it was clean. Put everything back on and the only change I found is when I run through the gears (with truck off) it's firmer. Anyway , I have one more question. Is there anyway to narrow down the issue with this thing? As I've stated in my last posts when I put the truck in gear I can't feel it engaging. Could this be some internal linkage?

I am not fully understanding your post....

You run it through the gears and it's firmer...... what is firmer?

you removed the valve body.... did you hook the internal linkage back into the manual shift valve in the valve body?

How much oil are you adding to the tranny when the pan is re-installed?

Does it seem to be taking fluid in as the engine idles when you fill the unit?

Have you opened up a cooler line fitting to see if oil pressure is there?


:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crosley, sorry for being so vague, I'll blame it on inexperience. I haven't checked for the pressure yet. I'll try to start from the beginning. When I was first experiencing problems I would have to rev the motor up quite abit to get the truck to move, seemed like the problem was with reverse only. Then as time went on it would take awhile for the truck to move into drive or low gear , but it would eventually move. Now it's not moving at all. Thinking that I might have not hooked the shifter linkage up correctly I disconnected it and put the trans. into gear by moving the lever on the trans. but still nothing. I'm just not sure what else I can do before taking it in and getting it rebuilt or buying a new transmission. I did hook everything back up correctly to the valve body. Again, sorry for being unclear..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after looking through some posts on transmission problems I'm going to look into my problem again. I'm very stubborn and I will not give up until I know I've done everything I'm capable of (which unfortunately is very little) :D
I'm wandering if my torque convert is the problem. Is it possible it has moved enough and is not engaged into the trans?? Is there anything specific I should be looking for besides making sure the flex plate is tightened to the crank and the converter is tightened to the fly wheel. How about the gap between the converter and flex plate?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,122 Posts
JJ350 said:
Well, after looking through some posts on transmission problems I'm going to look into my problem again. I'm very stubborn and I will not give up until I know I've done everything I'm capable of (which unfortunately is very little) :D
I'm wandering if my torque convert is the problem. Is it possible it has moved enough and is not engaged into the trans?? Is there anything specific I should be looking for besides making sure the flex plate is tightened to the crank and the converter is tightened to the fly wheel. How about the gap between the converter and flex plate?

Any thing specific to check?

Yes, verify there is pressure in the cooler lines. This will help determine if the pump is working.

There should a good flow of fluid in the cooler line.... not a dribble

Is the converter bolted to the flex plate? A simple check, a guess on my part. The converter does not simply back out of the tranny and stop transfer of power

Is it possible the converter was jammed against the pump incorrectly during the install and now the pump is blown up ( broke) ?

lets us know. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crosley, thanks so much for your help. In the future I will try to explain things better. I guess it's hard for me to explain something I know little about. I will do the pressure check this weekend.. again thanks!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top