Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys hope this is the right forum to post this. Ok I have gotten a 93 jeep grand cherokee and when I got it the back hatch would not open. You can put the key into the lock but it will not turn and not go all the way in and if you pull on the latch it does not work. I have tried to pull and pull on this thing and I can not get it open period. I have no working tail lights at this time and need to look at it and I don't know even where to begin on how to get it to open. Does anyone have a suggestion. I can't get to anything from the inside to undo the latch etc. Hope someone can get me started on what to do.
Thanks
Eric

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Try to open it from the inside. Most have a panel that can be removed while the door is shut. The latch is probably frozen. Once you get inside you should be able to disconnect enough stuff to get it open. Then you should be able to fix the issue that is keeping the outside from opening.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
If the ignition lock was ever changed- or if you're using the valet key- it prob. won't unlock the hatch, anyway.

But the key not going all the way in is a clue that the lock is obstructed- hopefully w/a broken off key. I'd get a better look into the lock to see. If there IS a broken off key still left in the lock, you're in luck.

Get a new key made. Start taking a little off the end of new key, then try it until you've taken just enough off that the rest of the new key along w/what's broken off inside the lock will let the lock function normally.

My '97 has an unlock switch for all of the doors including the hatch, it's on the arm rest- have you tried that yet (if yours has it)?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took the panel off from inside and it broke :smash: so I will have to replace that. Thanks for the write up but I don't have the opening like you do. Mine is closed up. I am able to move the latch from inside and lock and unlock it but I still can't get it to release. I don't know what else to do except take a crow bar to it but dam I don't wan't to damage the thing. I already have to replace the back cover now. Any more suggestions?
Thanks Eric

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there is nothing that I can see that keeps the key from going all the way in that I can see but it seems like neither key works in it. As far as the glove box goes I do have a key that works on it. I release the hatch from inside on the lever part that is hooked up too the key lock and it still does not undo the latch to be able to open it. If I had access like the one guy posted on what he did to his jeep I would have it open already but the top of mine is closed up as to where his was open. I don't wan't to have to take a cut off tool to it.

Eric

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you have got the hatch unlocked, or at least seem to be, as best you can tell?

Does the handle on the outside just lift with out any resistance, like it's not moving any linkage (the way it feels when locked, for instance), or does it feel like there is resistance, as if the linkage was jammed up?

Have you tried pushing down on the hatch real good- like if you were closing it, then try opening it.

The reason I asked about the key opening the g-box, a valet key will work just the ignition, not the glove box or hatch, etc. for security- like having a valet park your car- you don't want them rummaging through your g-box, thus a valet key.

So, if the key you were trying to use on the hatch was a valet key, it wouldn't unlock it. If it will work in the ignition AND open the g-box, it should unlock the hatch as well.

If the ignition lock was ever changed, the g-box, hatch and passenger door are all a different (original ignition) key- unless they were all re-keyed to match.

Whew.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well no keys work on the hatch period so that is ruled out. On the latch when you pull it there is no resistance it will pull on inside levers but it does not unlock the hatch and I have tried pushing it in will all the strength I have and then pull it etc and no dice. I pull on the linkage inside the panel and I still can't get it to release.
Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.