Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into a free 62 fleetwood. It was running before it was left sitting in a garage 10yrs ago. When I got it, it chugged but didnt start. I replaced the fuel lines because they were all clogged up. After doing that, I'm not getting any accessory power and no starting at all. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
If it turns over, it will start.

Take the plugs out and clean or replace them. Put in new points, they are probably corroded. Check for spark and make sure that gas is getting through the carb. Carb may need cleaning, probably all gummed up too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I changed the battery, then I got accessory power and the engine tried to start, but couldnt do it because it wasnt getting gas. So I drained the tank and replaced the lines. I havent replaced the fuel filter yet, though. But after I changed the lines, I can't get any kind of power, not even accessory. This is my first caddy, so I'm not familiar with the wiring and what not. Thanks for the suggestions if you got em

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check and clean the main battery terminals. And follow those wires, maybe you bumped something loose. Clean the end that goes to the starter then reattach. If worse comes to worse, pull the starter and have it tested.

Also check to make sure the battery still tests at well over 12. I forget what you should be looking for, but take a look over on the electircal forum. A short could drain it over the course of a few hours.

I would start around the starter and check the wiring from there. Also since you say you have a tester, test and see what you are getting at the fuse box. The problem with the accessories could be there. Have you replaced any fuses?

I would say as an uneducated guy that the problem is between the battery and the starter. Concentrate your search in those two areas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No accessory power

I would check all panel fuses and the fuselinks, then I would sit down and have a cigar while I considered the sum of the matters....LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, well, I tried the cigar idea. Good cigar, no luck. Now this may sound stupid, but I checked voltage into the voltage regulator. Going in, i have 12.5v, in the second terminal which supplies the generator, i have absolutley nothing, as well as the 3rd. Does anyone think this could be the source of my problems? I have been told they tend to go bad often anyway.

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Not likely, you will only get voltage out of them when the engine is running.

Does the engine crank over?

If it does, are you getting spark?

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
You need to get it cranking first, it's either the starter, battery or thye wiring. Forget about everything else right now. From what you said before about "no accessories", I bet the wiring is the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Might be a bad ignition switch. My 59 Cad, the insides of the lock cylinder had turned to powder due to age/use.
1)Verify battery is charged. 2) Check for voltage at coil (+) with the key on. 3) Check for power at fuse box at several different fuses.

2 checks if key is sending power to coil.
3 checks for power from battery to fuse box, If there is no power at either one, check the positive wire from the starter going in to the fuse box/switch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cranking etc.

Look, imagine the car has been sitting in the junk yard for ten years. What can you expect?

1. Like the man said, get it to crank first.
2. I wouldn't even try to start it then. All the gas in the floatbowl has turned to residue long ago (i would assume). This can clog the jets)....rebuild the carb.
3. While the carb is off, crank the engine (with the ign. switch OFF to prove the fuel pump. Use a large rag or a can to catch the gas. A strong shot of gas must shoot to show good.
4. Now you know you have the gas covered (and all is replaced) turn the switch on and crank the engine while holding one of the plug wires about 1/8" from the plug connecting point (use cardboard and ingenuity to space the wire from the plug). If you get a blue snapping spark then spark is ok we will assume the other plugs are getting the same).
Gas, spark....you're ready to go with running the engine.
5. As for the charging system, start and run engine...observe the red light has gone out in the dash, if not then there is a problem there.
6. Your local library has all the books you need to "Do it yourself".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts