Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems getting my 383 stroker to start. It has sat for a year. Don't really think that will be any part of the problem. The timing is set the best we can get it without starting it. It has spark it is getting gas to the carb. It is on top dead center on the compression stroke. the cam has been advanced four degrees for more torque. So I may have the timing off a bit? I have taken the plugs out and they seem to be not getting any gas. B/c they are not wet. The motor has been grounded to the frame. so it shouldn't be a ground problem. and as far as I can tell the wiring is all right. I also had a friend check it out too. I have it wired to a push button. Any help would be greatly appreciated very much.the motor turns over with out any problems. I am stumped :confused: :confused:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
It sounds like you have oved the dist. Hook up a timing light while cranking and see what it reads. Does it back fire at all, and if so is it through the carb or exhaust. I would check to be sure the rocker arms are moving. It is possible that the lifters have collapst from sitting, not likely but it is possible. If you have fuel and spark and the timing is correct it should fire.
If you have a choke be sure it is closed. It is odd that you are cranking and the plugs are not wet at all. If you pump the accelerator do you see fuel shooting out of the squirters in the carb.

Check all the above and you should identify the problem.

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have turned the dist. clockwise and the motor has stopped backfiring. It was backfiring through the exhaust but not anymore. Yes we are getting plenty of fuel through the squirters. If the lifters have collapsed how do I know it and I would guess that I would have to buy new ones right.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Double check 180* is an easy mistake to make. I just had a 180* problem on Wednesday. I was confident that it wasnt but it was. And mine only backfired once and a while. It wasnt even consistent. Im not calling you dumb I am just throwing it out there as an idea. Check, recheck, then recheck everything again.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Pull the #1 plug and have a helper bump it until you feel the compression with you ufinger covering the spark pluk ole. Bring up the timing mark and pop off the dist cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at # 1. If not pull and re-set the dist and it should fire right up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you have an advancable timing chain you may want to make sure that you have the proper marks together. ei circle to circle, square to square, or triangle to triangle. I have seen this happen before. if it is wrong you could well have bent valves too.

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the marks are lined up and everything. I am going to check to see if the lifters have collapsed. If they have I will just have to prime them up again. If not then I am still lost. everything checks out I have spark. Gas to the carb. I have gas coming out of the squirter's. The timing may not be correct but That can be worked out once I get it started. I just want to get it at least running so I can feel better. :( :confused: :mad:

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Here's what I see... properly tuned, fuel to the carb, but not the plugs... sounds like maybe your float stuck closed. Its a pretty common thing on engines that sit for a while.

First thing I'd do is whack the carb with the handle of a screwdriver a few times. See if you can jar it loose the old fashioned way. If that fixes the problem I still suggest a new needle and seat, but it might get you on your way.

At any rate, if you're getting spark, getting fuel to the carb, and not the plugs, something in the carb is preventing fuel from getting to the right place. Will it run if you dribble some gas down the throats?

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the motor ran great before it sat. There is plenty of gas coming out of the squirters on the carb.SO the float is not stuck. And the rocker arms are all moving. so they are not collapsed. So it has still got me baffled why there is no gas getting to the plugs. and if we pour gas down the carb it still won't start :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Are you getting a full 12volts to the distributor? You said your using a push button to try and start it. I had a Nova that was a wiring hack job and when we went to crank it, it would kill the juice to the dizzy but still crank the engine over. Like you said it would fire once in a while but not repeat.

Ensure your getting 12V to the dizzy while your cranking the engine, sounds like you've covered everything else. Good luck.

Where in Illinois are you located?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Unless your dumping raw fuel down it or pumping the hell out of it theres not going to be a whole lot in there. Did it sit W/O and aircleaner on it? could have a mouse nest in the intake. (going out on a limb here).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.