Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a donor engine & was wondering what the difference is between the 94-96 impala ss & the caprice of the same year. is the caprice just a de-tuned version of the impala? or does the caprice use a 305 & the impala a 350?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that, in those years, they both used 260 horse 5.7L (350) LT1's, although the caprice was also availible with a semi-uncommon 4.3L V8 as well, which was also LT1-based.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking that a caprice would be a good donor, i just wanted to make sure that it was an lt1 block. i suppose it would be the same deal in the wagon too?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, the 5.7's are all basically the same from 94-96, just make sure that, if you pull one, you check codes on the block or the emissions sticker under the hood and be sure you're not getting a 4.3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ONLY the 96 LT1 350 uses the OBDII computer hookup

the OBDII is the computer tool that is still used TODAY. ONLY the 96 can use that tool.

·
Banned
385 Posts
i wonder why they didn't just use the 4.3 v-6 in lieu of a 4.3 v-8. BTW the only reason why this car line was discontinued is because gm need the extra factory capacity to produce suv's.

Yet another reason why gm sucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My friend has an Impala SS and he ordered a front end kit. He swears there's a difference in the way part of the frame up front is shaped on the SS vrs the regular Caprice.

Brandon

·
Registered
32 Posts
DoubleVision said:
The wagons mostly recieved the reverse cooled 4.3 liter V8`s.
Nope, I'm pretty sure ALL 94-96 Caprice and Roadmaster wagons came with the 5.7L LT1...

4.3 L99s were somewhat common in the 94-96 civilian sedans, and quite a few of the taxis and police cars have L99s, also (I've owned 2).

EDIT: wow just noticed this is an OLD thread!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm looking at using a 94-96 Roadmaster engine/trans in my '37 Roadmaster.
1) Can anyone tell me how important it is for me to get a '96 that allows use of the OBDII tool?
2) What is this tool used for?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
OBDII is the type of computer used to hook up to the car to diagnose when a check engine light code comes up. That is what the OBDII pertains to. To my knowledge they switched to this type at one time and a certain year of car either would be an OBDII or it would not. I don't think they had a year where some were and some weren't, but I could be wrong.

Brandon

·
Registered
148 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts