Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get covers for my Mustangs but I hear from some that they are only good for indoor storage and can damage paint if used outside. One of these cars has only been painted for about three months and is the one I am most concerned about since the other one will be repainted next spring anyway. Good idea or bad? Any recommendations as to Type? Brand?

·
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp
1971 BB Chevelle
575 Posts
I consider myself an absolute nut case when it comes to my Car finishes, I take much pride in them. I've never had a garage in my life and I've used car covers on my last 10 - 12 performance vehicles and have been using them for decades, "they work amazing".

I live in Long Island NY and we have extremely harsh winters and 4 very different seasons that all prevent their own car issues. Winter with Snow, Spring with Pollen, Summer with Heat & Rain, and Fall with the Dam Leaves.

My car can sit under anything winter spring summer and fall can throw at it,
including sitting under snow for weeks or months at a time. When it all thaws or drys and you pull the cover all you have to do is dust the car off (which literally takes 2 - 3 minutes) and it's as beautiful and detailed as the day you put it away. It's truly amazing how clean they stay when covered.

BUT YES THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL FOR

*Always buy a multi level outdoor cover WITH MIRROR POCKETS
(pockets are important to keep the cover on in wind and minimize whipping)

*Never try and pull ice off a cover if snow or rain freezes to the cover
(If you do you'll pull a section of the cover off, and possibly your paint)

*Buy a cover that fits very tight and snug (tighter and snugger the better)
(you must minimize or eliminate the cover from whipping around with wind)

For the above reason I buy all my covers with built in straps that have plastic buckle locks, but I only use the straps if severe wind is expected, (my cover is very tight fitting and has strong elastic front & back).
With straps and plastic Buckle Locks you do have to be careful not to scratch vehicle with them.

I will say SEVERE wind is a covers nightmare and with a Black Vehicle if you dont have a proper fitting cover or you don't tie it down on the severe windy days it could whip around and create a problem over time. I had that happen once years ago with a loose fitting cover but I was able to buff it out and I've had many Black vehicles covered since without ever having another issue.

Short Answer
Use a multi level Custom Fit (for your vehicle) cover with mirror pockets
Dont pull frozen ice off
Tie down on severe windy days
AND YOUR GOOD TO GO....................

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
I would like to get covers for my Mustangs but I hear from some that they are only good for indoor storage and can damage paint if used outside. One of these cars has only been painted for about three months and is the one I am most concerned about since the other one will be repainted next spring anyway. Good idea or bad? Any recommendations as to Type? Brand?

Buy a good quality cover, and don't use it on a car that sits outside in bad weather, or cover a car you are hauling. This is a good company that should have a cover specific to your car. http://www.calcarcover.com/n_carcovermaterials/All

·
hold my beer and watch this!
166 Posts
Depends where you park!! My friend works at a marina, covers the car soon as he parks. Why? Sea Gulls ***** on the cover not the caddy!! LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last three car covers, yes the good form fitting ones with special fabrics, have all damaged the paint jobs when used outside. No more tries for me. Cover plus wind = bad things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a black 93 rx7 that has never been parked in a garage the ~18 years I've owned it. I've always used a car cover (Cal Cover Dan linked above). I'm on my second, the 1st finally ripped about a year ago.

The covers I got from Cal Cover fit really well and they will do custom (for that chopped 59 caddy or ?). They're high quality. Like anything else you can pay more and it may be better, but if you buy cheap that's what you get.

Not only will a cover protect your paint, it really is great protection for the interior. The sun can really destroy any plastic and with a cover that doesn't happen.

I don't live in a high wind area (50mph max) and haven't had any problems with that. My suggestion would be to buy something that fits really well. It should include ties to hold it down or buy some tarp clips (Tarp Clips: Camping & Hiking | eBay) and use them to ensure the cover won't move.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
For the cost of a multi layer cover you can buy a canopy. Check with your local laws as some may consider it a structure. But, for short term use where it will not see heavy weight placed upon it such as snow or leaves they work great. They also generally keep critters from forming homes under your car that they seem more prone to with covers draped within inches of the ground.

In my experiences I don't use any type of cover in the winter months as it will freeze to the paint. There are multi layer ones that promise they will both breath and not let water form and basically your at the mercy of the shape of the car. If it has spots where ice can form it will form and freeze against those areas. For storing in the winter a cover is not advised. A piece of cardboard over the dash and parts of the interior that will see sunlight is cheap and very effective while taking seconds to remove. Parking tires/rollers let you store your good ones inside or the use of paint wheel covers work great.

White lithium grease against the door hinges or any other place where bees will try to move in keeps them out. They hate the stuff and if your storing a car or just driving it only a few thousand every year slap some on and save yourself from finding a nest when you throw open the hood or door.

A few pieces of plywood under the car will cost you a bit but it does many good things. It lets you know if your leaking something. It keeps out mice and snakes. It avoids the car sinking. It will keep weeds/vines and just general garbage(that was brought under via mice) from collecting under the car that could cause a fire.

One thing I like the most about a canopy over a cover is that it lets me see and start the car easily. There is nothing like pulling the cover off a few days before a cruise or show only to find a dent that magically appeared.

If you want a cheap cover that will simply cover the car to avoid everyone knowing whats under it and don't care about the body use trampoline fabric. Trampoline fabric is rip resistant and wicks away water/bird junk. It can be found for free (or next to) if your willing to haul away the rest of the trampoline. In general a 16' trampoline will cover many cars after a bit if trimming/ stitching with some fishing line. Your eyelets are already where you want them in most cases and the stuff is heavy preventing it from flopping around in the wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts