Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not the kind of guy to use a car duster, but my well water is so hard that I can't wash 58 TRUK at home. When I wash TRUK I take it the touch free car wash at $12 a pop, occasionally my buddy's house. I believe that I could use a car duster to extend my car wash dollars. Amazon has a plethora of them from $10 on up to $37 for California brand. Any preference on car dusters?

People do freak out when I say "run it through the car wash", I've done it for 11 years without any harm. I really shouldn't own any nice vehicles. I rarely wash 58 TRUK or my DD aka TRUK (09 GMC) and vacuum them less.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
87 Posts
I have used the same California car duster for the past 20 years, and it is still going strong. When new it left a small waxy residue on the car which had to be wiped off, but after a few uses this didn't happen, and after all this time still does it's job well. They are at the expensive end of the market, but I think the old saying still applies "you only get what you pay for".

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Agreed. I've had the same Calif. Car Duster since 1999. I opted for the deluxe one with the wooden handle and the storage bag. I think I remember having to 'prep' it when it was new. Something like loosely wrap it in newspaper and sit it in the sun or something. This was to get rid of the excess parafin wax that streaked. When it was new, I never saw streaks left on my car but it was white so, who knows. When I had my black WS6, if I wiped it with the duster after the car sat in direct sunlight on a hot day, it'd streak a tiny bit. Take a microfiber and it wipes right off; or don't wipe it down at 2pm in august in the middle of a field :D

RE: car washes. One of my engineers owned a car wash, and they used Zep products. The soap is pretty aggressive stuff; but if you're using an OEM paint and a good quality wax, I wouldnt worry at all. Their wax is junk though. I used to run the WS6 through occasionally, I'd just wipe it down with a microfiber and then re-apply a product like Megs Quick Detailer. In october I'd strip all the wax off the car, buff it lightly, touch up chips and then re-wax before winter storage

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Also, quick detailer and a microfiber works good too. Lucas Speedwax is the one I like, but there are lots to choose from.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback guys. california car duster it is. like i said, i should own any nice vehicle. i'm terrible at taking care of them. i don't wanna be 'that guy', you know the guy that spends an hour dusting and wiping down every time he drives to a cruise in. i'll never carry it with me, i just wanna look good pulling out of the barn.
driving a yellow truk attracts a lot of bees, that deposit little wax spots every time they land. a couple years ago i had a bees nest in a block core in the wall, i couldn't keep my truk clean. it took lots of spray and i finally foamed the wall to seal them in.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
87 Posts
driving a yellow truk attracts a lot of bees, that deposit little wax spots every time they land
I have the same thing with the Poncho being yellow. They just won't leave me alone in Summer, but the yellow also attracts admiring looks from people, especially females for some reason, so there are some plusses. However, I am a happily married 73yo so this certainly isn't a bonus for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts