Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carburated 83 camaro 305. Whenever I park my car and pul out my key my car keeps running. It doesn't run like it usually does, it just keeps barley turning over. I know that my valve guides are going out because of the oil smoke coming out the exhaust at start-up. Is the samme thing happening with my intake valve. I think that since the valve guides are leaking there is gas getting past the intake valve and that is what is keeping it running. What I don't understand is how it keeps turning over when the spark plug isn't igniting. I am planning on buying a new set of replacement heads i just wanted to make sure that it was the heads so that i know there is no other thing i need to fix or if a new set of heads woud fix the exhaust smoke and dieseling. I would really appreciate any help or any info because it has gotten pretty bad. My car ran for almost a minute after i pulled out the key .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run-on?

I know what your talking about. The term is called 'Run-on'. And I there's a method or part that will fix that. Unfotunetely I have forgotten what it was (sorry). But maybe making a newthread with that term in the title will help.

Best of Luck,
Stroke

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Heat build up from carbon deposits will ignite gas and keep it running.Until you get the heads done try turning the car off while in gear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
RCastle said:
try turning the car off while in gear.
I had a 1980 T-Bird with a 302 that was beat to DEATH but the thing still kept running and it would diesel everytime I stopped.

That is exactly what I did, drove it for two years like that, always expected the car to crap out soon but it never did so what the hell, drive it till the wheels fall off.

I just gave it away because the timing chain cover cracked on it and it started leaking from the back of the water pump (on the freeway when it was 102 degrees out I might add) so I was done with that car.

The guy I gave it to still drives it... It still diesels... And he still turns it off in gear... lol

Besides that cracked timing cover before and since all anyone has done to that car is check the oil, water, and gas gauge, haha.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As previously mentioned it is very likely that deposits from the burning of oil due to the leaking guilds are contributing to the problem, also check to make sure that the egr is funtioning and that you timing isn't overly advanced. If you still have the problem one way of dealing with it is to go to the wreckers and get an idle stop solinode off a car and put it on that will get it licked. Good luck

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Many times run-on is caused by the throttle blades being open too far at idle. Turn the idle speed down a bit & see if it goes away.

If the car has an idle solenoid that kicks the throttle open a little bit when the engine is running, make sure it is not sticking when you turn it off.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Run on

Everyone's pretty much right on the money. Turn the idle down, make sure timing is not to high. On the carbon problem untill you do put a set of heads on it, get the car warm and take you about 8 ounces of water and pour slowly thru the carb while it is running and keep the throttle moving to prevent boggs and it will clean the carbon out. The old school carbon cleaner and GM had it in a tech notice in the early 1980's. It works.
Check in front of your carb the large purge valve that the carb vacuum lines hook into take it off and point it to the ground and see if it's full of fuel. If it is replace it. (This is provided you are still running stock carb set-up- CCC Carb.)

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Do a tune up and replace the valve guide seals, a few hours work
and you save the price of heads.

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts