Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74 pontiac. looking at it from the back, it's got a slight angle to it. Trying to fix it cheaply. Can air shocks fix this? looks like original shocks. any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The lean is caused either by chassis damage or by sagging springs. New front coil springs are lass than $100 from your local NAPA, O'Reilly's or CarQuest parts stores. The rear springs may still be available from GM or a Nova specialty store.
Shocks will not affect the set of a body unless they are damaged in the "UP" position of bottomed out and holding up the car from sagging spring or springs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It' gotta be sagging springs. You think changing just one in the front would work? I was told awile back it was caused by some fat ***** like myself driving it for the last 30+ years.(leans lower on driver side) I guess the "correct way" is to change all the springs out.

·
Ford Man to the bone!!!
112 Posts
dhomsey said:
...Can air shocks fix this? ...
Air shocks with separate lines (not both adjusted from one hose.) could level the back. You still might lean when braking because the front springs may be the problem. This would cause braking to suffer. I say replace the springs first. Jack up the rear with a floor jack in the center. If it sits level when jacked up it is the rear springs. Do the same by jacking the front in the center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It definately could be the springs. Possibly the allignment is jacked up a bit, and that could cause it to lean a little to one side also.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Even if you install 4 new springs it might not sit level if the suspension bushings/ball joints are worn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts