Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

i have read some postings about car paint and have found the level of expertise here very high. i know very little about actually painting a car but know a few things about paint and coatings.

are there certain colors made by paint manufacturers that have a reputation of being better?
that is, if someone wanted a car in a red shade perhaps one company would have better paint than the same car, same conditions, same paint class, but in blue.

thanks

louis

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Not really!

The companies are so close when you talk base coats that you really cannot say one is better than another IF everything is done the way it is suppose to.
Take the cheapest bases they may be an enamel conversion so they dry slower and they may take more coats to cover and the color match (on some colors) may not be as good. But if you allowed for all this as far as flash times and curring they are every bit as tough as the best ones.

The premium ones will have better color matches and be of a polyester resin so they will dry better and cover in less coats.

The clear is the most important item as far as long term durability and gloss holdout. If I was doing a budget job that I wanted to really last, (just an example) I might use Nason base and than go to a PPG 2022 clear or BASF 95 or Dupont Glamor clear.
But most important when I was spraying the cheap base I would wait till next day to apply the clear, that does away with all the potential problems of solvent pop and peeling or dieback down the road.
I still believe that the premium bases are cheaper to use than the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
paints equal

From what ive read the cheaper paints can be less forgiving in an uneperienced hand on aplication

Below is my experience.
If you are going to save a few thousand dollars by doing the work your self
you may as well by good quality products. If your planing on keeping the car

2k paint lasts for years with little or no work.

Acrillic laquer is more work to get shine by buffing etc and fade more rapidly
which makes touch ups a hassel later if your using left over paint

Also the shelf life of some lower quaility paints is less
So if u do want a touch up later the paint may have gone off

Ive used old 2k undercoat thats been in my garage for 5yrs and with a good sterr mixed back in with no probs

I tried using an old acrillic paint from a can and no matter how much I mixed it stayed seperated.

Also if you use acrillic laquer undercoat then a basecoat then a 2k Clear coat You will get alot of chips in the paint.

The base coat and clear will simply not adhere to the acrilic under coat as well as when u use a 2k undercoat.

Ive painted a few cars with both types and combinations and 2k undercoat then base coat and 2k clear has worked very well.

Wear a mask for all paints a warm winter day is best to paint there is not much dust and very little bugs.

The garage door has to be partly open for the amount of fumes.
http://www.geocities.com/keithholden/HQholden.html
pic of my car I painted 5yrs ago. Parked out side for 3yrs of the 5

·
Registered
717 Posts
barry, thats funny you mentioned about the basecoats. i have never used an econo grade before but the other day i had to get some mixed up to paint a bumper for this young kid's truck. it was limco base. i was reading the label and it said "acrylic enamel basecoat" which confused me and i had to ask to make sure i wasn't getting just an acrylic enamel. i never knew that. thought they were all polyester or something similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts