Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Thanks, cool cars and your son looks like he had a great time, which is of course the best part!

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Your boy sure make's them car's look cool.. :thumbup: You can tell he's enjoying himself..That's the time's I enjoy the most at the show's.. :thumbup:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Cool to see the young'un getting exposed to hot rodding. Good job!

One of my favorite times of the year was when the new cars would hit the showrooms! Dad and I would go down and critique them; real father/son good times.

The first time I saw the GM Motorama, I was just a kid, and it blew me away! It's a shame they don't do promos like that anymore. I guess the OEM's participation in events like the Power Tours, etc., is deemed to be enough. :(

·
16,460 Posts
cobalt327 said:

One of my favorite times of the year was when the new cars would hit the showrooms! Dad and I would go down and critique them; real father/son good times.

The first time I saw the GM Motorama, I was just a kid, and it blew me away! It's a shame they don't do promos like that anymore. I guess the OEM's participation in events like the Power Tours, etc., is deemed to be enough. :(
I have always been a lover of car design and ideas tossed around the design studio. The "Dream Cars" of the GM Motorama age are my favorites. I recently picked up a book on the GM Motoramas heyday and it is really some good reading with spectacular photos. The story behind the marketing, the genius marketing of the Motorama is a hoot. They were literally "Rock concerts" they were SHOWS not just "car shows".

My father was a car salesmen here in the SF bay area from 1949 thru 1977. With the majority of it being GM. In 1953 the Motorama was in SF and I'll be damn if that year as far as I can figure he was selling Fords and didn't go to it! He is no longer with us and I can't ask him though.

But this book is VERY interesting, you should pick it up. "GM's Motorama" is the name by David W Temple. It has some fascinating facts about how these cars where built. The guys who worked in the design studio from 49-56 or so admit it was the best time of their careers.

Brian

One of their more crazy designs...

To one of their most beautiful.

·
16,460 Posts
cobalt327 said:
I have to say, my dad brought me to a number of shows and drag races, not a ton, he was usually working on the weekends. But I have a program from the 1971 Grand National Oakland Roadster show (now in Pomona) hanging on the wall in my garage in a plastic bag. It has my dads note on the inside "Another great day with my son". I treasure it, we never forget these times with our dads.

And yes, my walls are covered with stuff like that. It isn't boxed up and put away "saved", for what? It is out for me to glance at while I am out in the garage during MY time. It is there to remind me how great life is.

Pull those things out and get them up on display!

Brian

There it is right under the signal light. :D

·
16,460 Posts
NEW INTERIORS said:
Never had a dad to do that with me,But Now I have a son to do it with too.And now I hope I can pass it on to him... :D Enjoy them times.. :D
We have the power to CREATE memories as well as HAVE them! Go out and CREATE one today!

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.