Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Trans Am that runs really good, it has a posi rear with drums in backs, discs in the front and a th350 Trans. Today I was in traffic when I noticed that when I slowly let off the brakes from a dead stop, I'll get to a point where the car will start to vibrate. It's a vibration through the whole car it seems like. If I let off the brakes completely it goes away and I accelerate fine.

I'm thinking maybe torque converter but I really hope not. I'm hoping for a quick fix like brakes or something. I do get a lot of creaking from the rear drums especially if I drive it after it's say for awhile.

Anyone have any clue what's going on?

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
I'd rebuild the rear drum breaks if you havent already. Even if it doesnt solve the problem it needs to be done. The drums in my 78 failed while i was driving, then the fronts about a year later.

·
Music and Hot Rods
1,747 Posts
Probabaly glazed braking surfaces. If the shoes and pads are still good, remove them all, cut the rotors and drums, use some 60 grit sand paper on the pad/shoe surfaces and reinstall. Use a FLAT surface to cut your pads and shoes. Also, do a quick bedding on the brakes when finished assembling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.