Hot Rod Forum banner

Are video games accurate (car modifications)?

• Very accurate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite accurate

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Hit-N-Miss

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Sucky

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think a new GTO in my buddy's new NeedForSpeed Underground would make only ~460HP with "stage 2 everything" except turbo. (it goes stock>stg1>2>3)

I also don't think in my Grand Turismo 2 porting/polishing cylinder heads on a Camaro SS would provide only about 10HP. Also, why does the performance exhaust make it sound like a 4-banger? Ditto with the 'stangs, the factory exhaust sounds better on the games.

I don't think they're very accurate on modifications and how they affect an automobile. I'm asking if anyone else noticed this?
-matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a charger in gran turismo 2, and I took it out only to hear it sound like a hairdryer. That car sat in the garage after that.

I liked the first need for speed, you could take a viper, run it up to 200 mph and drop it into reverse. Black marks for a mile.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
grand tursimo 4 is comming !!! i cant wait. will have the muscle cars from many era's. like 670 cars total. including the 71 cuda!

gt3 was great fun. never liked the arcade style of need for speed.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I have an X-Box and my son has the PS2.We play more sports related games.I like the race games,just haven't played any for ages.I had that Sega GT and it sucked,Made a great coaster for my coffee mug.PGR2 on the box is tough.True you can not modify the cars,but Ferrari's and Porsche do not really need a whole lot of that anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually think that nfsu 2 is fairly reliable wit the horsepower numbers. My gto on that games making over 540 horsepower. For a ricer based games its pretty damn fun. The best part is when a guy is trying to lose you so he hits the nitrous and your still passing him.:)

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
One thing I loved about Gran Tourismo III was the 1/4 mile racing you could do. It was cool how different shift points and launch RPMs would affect your time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have IHRA Drag Racing for computer, I like it bette than the 'station version because its easier to set the car up with a mouse etc. Anyway, I try to build cars that I/my friends have. Sorta funny though, my friends duster is apparantly a 22 second car although it ran 14.6 in real life. Pretty fun anyway though.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I've been playing GT3 a lot. Its a pretty great game, I could go for some more old school rides, though. THe game is pretty amazing, I'd have to say. GT4 is going to be out soon, the screen shots look rediculous.

K

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
I really like Xbox's Burnout series. Racing through city streets and freeways and crashing into everything. Well worth buying and checking out. I consider it one of my best car games to playand it's ranked as one of the best racing games ever made. I agree.

·
107 Posts
68Velle said:
I have IHRA Drag Racing for computer, I like it bette than the 'station version because its easier to set the car up with a mouse etc. Anyway, I try to build cars that I/my friends have. Sorta funny though, my friends duster is apparantly a 22 second car although it ran 14.6 in real life. Pretty fun anyway though.
Whats the name of this game?

·
Registered
62 Posts
On games like Gran Turismo, if you either use an automatic or stretch the RPMs to their limit, everything will sound like a hair dryer as someone said. If you want it to sound cool you gotta keep it at low RPMs. My 67 Mecury Cougar sounds wicked at about five grand, and so does my GTX :p Though I gotta admit the Mopars did sound quite quiet in GT2. Hopefully they fixed it with the tremendous amount of scouting they did for car sounds for GT4.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm right with ya 4x4blazer. Burnout 3 has been the cause of many sleepless nights in my house. :pimp:

There's nothing like T-Boning a gasoline tanker at 180mph. :thumbup:

MoocH

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have V8 Supercar2 which is about the closest I'll ever get to driving a supercar
Realistic sounds and graphics ( there is even the reflection on the bonnetfrom the scenery in the incar view )
the sounds are fairly accurate between makes ( Holden and Ford )
I spend hours playing it !!

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TwistedDragon said:
On games like Gran Turismo, if you either use an automatic or stretch the RPMs to their limit, everything will sound like a hair dryer as someone said. If you want it to sound cool you gotta keep it at low RPMs. My 67 Mecury Cougar sounds wicked at about five grand, and so does my GTX :p Though I gotta admit the Mopars did sound quite quiet in GT2. Hopefully they fixed it with the tremendous amount of scouting they did for car sounds for GT4.
I have a number of those Cougars... :drool: I dig the 390, one of FoMoCo's better ideas, like the 302, 351, stuff like that. Whatever happened to the Crown Vic is now some v6 FWD/AWD barge is a bad idea... :confused:

Anyways, DO NOT put a performance exhaust on any v8s in that game, they sound like a v6, a ricer, a hairdryer... either way it's... ugghhh... just wrong. :drunk:

The Mustang SVTs sound nice, too about 3000-4000rpm. Too bad the smoke isn't realistic with burnouts, and ya really can't hold one unless you do a donut. :confused:

As far as my buddy's 540HP LS1 GTO on nitrous (NFS underground, gamecube), isn't the 346c.i. genIIIs making 450-475 without too much trouble, no nitrous, no blower? This is everything at "stage 3". It doesn't sound right (numbers), but it sure sounds evil!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its easy to do a burn out on GT3, even if it doesn't look right :p Just turn the TCS all the way down, then when you're driving it, barely press the gas at first and press the gas and the brake at the same time, and tada, burn out. Even if it isn't realistic. I'd love to see a game that got it right, make it where the smoke builds up and rolls out of under the fenders, around the tires, have the wind catch it and engulf the car :thumbup:

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
On midnight club 2 you could do burnouts, but the unrealistic part is that when you quit burning out to start racing the front end of the car would come up off of the ground. Not that it wouldnt be fun to acutally drive a car on the street that could actually do that! :thumbup:

Brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts