Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 toyota matrix. same chassis/engine as corolla. drove in reverse and turned off car. put clutch in, turned on car, it ran down the hill. ran wierd but it RAN, so i turned it off. put it in first and ran thru the gears. would run fine at higher rpm. drove it 70 to 80 on I-5 home. seemed to run fine at that speed and rpm would not stay running at stop lights. have to keep up around 3K to keep it running. will start every time but hav e to keep it over 3000. check engine light is on. disconnected battery both pos and nothing, then neg. and nothing. check engine still on.

anybody have any idea wtf is going on with this pig? plugs are fine, oil is clean, just sprayed MAF sensor and no change. thanks, sam

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
First.
Check the codes. This could be something totally diffrent then what you think it is.

That could have jumped time. Something I would do (after checking to make sure it is not something else via codes) is pull the intake and check my camshaft sprockets to make sure the dots are pointing at each other when the thing is at TDC(check this it may not be tdc)

It will cost you a gasket and a few hours mostly to see the timing mark by the crank.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S! thats what i was thinking. I'll run it down the road to the local yokle and see if they can get a code but i do think it probably somehow jumped timing. i was thinking they would bend a valve if they did tho? i don't know about toyotas. thanks.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did just find out my car has a metal timing chain (2007 Matrix) not a belt. wouldn't i have to break teeth off a sprocket or two to jump?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Spray a little ether near all your vacuum hoses befor you get too deep into trouble shooting. It will help you find any leak. Also put a vacuum gage on it and see what it tells you.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for that reply ekimneirbo ?? i took my car in, and should have noticed before i did, that my engine blew a big frikken vacuum line off the front of the engine. ran great ever since i put it back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.