Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not start my car! Here is what I did:

I did not touch the block or heads. I replaced the intake,carb dist, plugs and wires. I put the #1 cylinder at tdc on compression stroke and put in dist withe rotor pointing to #1 cylinder. hooked everything back up.

I have fuel going in to the carb and I have spark at the spark plug.

What am I missing? The car will not start. I will crank the engine and the give it some gas. When I give it the gas I get a pop out of the carb.

any help will be greatly appreciated

jesse

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Make sure you are on compression stroke. It sounds like timing. Pull plug #1 place finger over plug hole, have someone bump the starter until it starts to blow your finger off the hole. Bring up timing mark by hand and re-check distributor orientation.
If this is ok then double check the firing order 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
finally got the car started! It was all my fault. When i was cranking the engine by hand to see when the intake valve opened and closed I was actually looking at the exhaust valve. So my dist was 180 degrees off. I reinstalled it and the car started right up! thanks to all for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.