Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have a 383 stroker with an Edelbrock 750 carb, vortec heads 9.3 compression xe274h cam rpm air gap intake, davis dui ignition. It was jetted 2 stages leaner and It was running fine when I put it away for the winter. I checked the plugs and they where all a nice tan. I rebuild the front suspension and now about 2 months later its running like a dog. Its running rich and one side is running richer. I adjusted both of the idle mixture screws 1 1/2 turns out, I have played around with the timing a little and it didn't seem to help much.

Its almost like it needs to be re jetted but it was running fine when I put it away for the winter????? I don't have much experience with carbs and timing so any help would be appreciated.

I also checked the rods and springs to make sure they where the same and they were, but I did notice some black soot on one, the side that is running richer.

Thanks
Jordon

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have seen spark plugs do this several times before. If it was running fine 2 mo ago I wouldn't get to carried away chasing anything till I replaced the plugs. Don't know what it is about winter but it has a way of killing spark plugs. That's what I would do any how good luck!!! :cool: Brian

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
It is physically impossible for one side of the engine to run richer than the other side using a dual plane intake like you have.

One side of the carb feeds two cylinders on each side of the engine.

The passenger side of the carb feeds the front and rear cylinders on that side, and feeds the middle two cylinders on the driver's side of the engine.

Check and see which plugs rich are the problem to isolate a carb problem.

I'd suggest draining out all the fuel, and refilling with 5 gallons of fresh fuel and 3 bottles of carb/injector cleaner.

Today's gasoline does not strore well, even with Sta-bil storage additive.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! It looks like it might have been a combination of both gas and plugs. I did have stabilizer in the tank but it was almost empty so it may have picked up some junk from the bottom of the tank.

It looks like 3 of the plugs where bad. I started it up and there was very little heat from 3 of the header tubes. Thats why it seemed like one side was running richer than the other lol. I replaced the 3 and it purrs like a kitten again. So I will replace the rest when I get some time. I have never had plugs spontaneously go bad like that whats the deal? They where NGK V Groove with about 800 miles on them.

Thanks
Jordon

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can't really explain it??? :confused: All I know is that it happens!! And as far as the gasoline. You should never store a vehical with almost no fuel :nono: . Between the oxidizers they are putting in gas today and condensation, you will have a rusty gas tank in no time. Filler up and add Stabil. Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.