Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
More machine than man
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to looking at things after I got the intake (Edlebrock 7116) mounted to my factory Vortec heads. The intake has 8 bolts in total, but the bolts are all around the front and back of the intake, no bolts in the middle where the carb is located. I am concerned that using a carb lift plate to lift the motor back in the truck is going to warp the intake and cause leaks. Am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Well I'd be more concerned with the 4 bolts that hold the carb to the intake, and those have always held for me. If 4 little 5/16" bolts will hold a motor, then I doubt the intake will move with eight 3/8" bolts. There's plenty of metal to keep it from warping, unless you hung it from the plate for years of storage.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Good threads ?

I've seen too many aluminum intakes with bad partially stripped holes. I have a box of various lift eyes and an adjustable crank type lift bar and I use all 4 chains. , Usually fasten the lift hooks, eyes, etc. to the heads, accessory monting holes with 4 3/8 bolts and washers, plenty of engagement and enough washers so you don't bend your bolts.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I got to looking at things after I got the intake (Edlebrock 7116) mounted to my factory Vortec heads. The intake has 8 bolts in total, but the bolts are all around the front and back of the intake, no bolts in the middle where the carb is located. I am concerned that using a carb lift plate to lift the motor back in the truck is going to warp the intake and cause leaks. Am I being paranoid?
After I got a look at my Edelbrock Vortec intake and my 062 heads, I wondered the same thing. I decided against it, I'm going to use the lift brackets from an earlier SBC bolted to the accessory holes on the ends of the heads. Bolts and washers through a chain into the ends of the heads would work just as well, just don't use bolts that you are going to use elsewhere- they tend to get bent.

·
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA
1,146 Posts
Call me crazy,,,maybe

My edelbrock eps vortec (2716) on my 383 along with the 700R4 trans attached. All by the 1/4" flat steel intake plate and four grade 8 bolts, 6 latteral lines on the bolt head. Light torx on them 10 ft/lbs maybe

The picker would go just high enough to clear my rad support in the C10:sweat:

Not a problem, but enter at your own risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.