Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tryinig to decide what carb to run on a newly rebuilt 350. It's .060 over with a 240 / 470, aluminum heads, Victor Jr intake. I have a Holley 750 on it and have had some problems. Thinking it may have to do with too much carb. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is that 240* duration @ .050" with 470" lift?

I am presuming with the single plane Victor Jr. intake, 750 carb, and aftermarket heads that you are looking to have a high reving engine. If the 240 figure is your duration at .050" that also would be for a higher reving engine.

If you have an automatic tranny you may need a higher than stock stall torque converter. Your rear gears should also probably be somewhere around 3.55-3.73:1 too. If neither of these is present in your car it will fall flat off the line as the driveline will engage and drag on the engine before it has a chance to build any power. Also with the 750 carb at low RPM it will not have enough vacuum to function efficiently.

Let me know your answers to my questions and what kind of engine you were looking to build. As I read it now it is a higher RPM performance package. The rest of your driveline needs to be adjusted to that.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imho...

A Street PREDATOR will give the engine whatevah it can handle and take the guesswork outta all the rest.. 600 cfm to 930 cfm's each carb..I ran (2) two Predators on my Blown 383 Stroker in my 2:79 rear geared, 350TH, 1600 lb. "pail" for 3 years with no problems at all.... OK! ONE problem.. I hadda use wheelie bars even on the street.. :rolleyes: :) :D

The variable venturi design of the Predator carburetor allows it to work strictly off of the air demand of the engine and meters fuel in a direct relationship to that demand. As a result, the engine is never "under" or "over" carbureted at any engine rpm or load.
In addition, with no jets to change, no leaking power valves and no internal gaskets to swell, this high performance carburetor is relatively maintenance free.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Carb opinion....

My suggestion would be to ask the Tech @ BG guy here for his opinion.Give him all your specs and what you are doing with your car.This was what I did earlier this year,I followed his recommendation and have been very pleased with my Mighty Demon!

·
Registered
223 Posts
i would go with the predator carb too. flows any where between 390 cfm to 930cfm. i have one on my mild 454, throttle response is exellent even with a big cam..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts