Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need some help, because I'm not getting anywhere with it. I recently had to replace the intake on my 77 Skylark becuase both of the thermostat house bolt snapped off in the old one. I took the whole instake and carb set up from a motor i had waiting to drop into my 73 Nova. I thought I installed everything right....I got the distributor seated in and the carb snug to the intake, but the car wont start. The engine tries to turn over but it never starts. I put my old carb back on it thinking the other one was sitting for quite a while in not so nice conditions. Now everytime I try and start it the carb shoots out flames! Im lost on this one. If anyone can tell me what stupid thing I did it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
First of all are you sure the two motors are compatible?

That aside.

If you didn't mark the distributor rotor location when took it out, then your problem most likely is distributor timming or a crossed wire.

This link goes over the steps to properly find TDC and re-install a distributor. Hope that Helps Lots of luck.

http://www.misterfixit.com/distrib.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
getting somewhere

ok i got the car starting but can only keep it running for a few second because the carb will make a load popping sound and throw up some flames. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you checked the firing order?
Make sure the plug wires and leading to the correct cylinder in the correct order.

Or... You could also have a vacume leak. Check for split or craked hoses. Check that your manifold is seated properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts