Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!

I have an old Carter AFB in a marine application and the float bowl "weeps" fuel out after several days. Leaking fuel in a boat is bad news and it makes the engine hard to start after sitting for a week.

I suspect that it has been cleaned with some kind of "super solvent" during a previous rebuild and that the aluminum has become porous.

I guess this is why I see so many chrome AFB carbs! Mine is not chromed.

Is there a product that I can use to reseal it? .

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
840 Posts
Never seen an AFB leak out of the bowls. Can you describe where it is leaking from? If one of these carbs leak - then you have way too much gas in the carb - float setting. Is the carb cracked?

·
More for Less Racer
20,441 Posts
Please help!

I have an old Carter AFB in a marine application and the float bowl "weeps" fuel out after several days. Leaking fuel in a boat is bad news and it makes the engine hard to start after sitting for a week.

I suspect that it has been cleaned with some kind of "super solvent" during a previous rebuild and that the aluminum has become porous.

I guess this is why I see so many chrome AFB carbs! Mine is not chromed.

Is there a product that I can use to reseal it? .

Thanks, Mike
I don't believe there is a way to seal it that isn't cost prohibitive.

Don't believe that AFB's or clones were ever chromed either, just tumble polished to get a shiny finish. Chroming what porous surface you have will just make the seepage worse, as pre-choming acid cleaning will make holes bigger, and chrome doesn't seal anything.

Marine AFB's are now electrostatic deposit coated Black straight from Edelbrock, but I don't think they redo old carbs, I think you are looking at needing a new carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts