Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I gotta 75 RamCharger and I'm have some carb issues with it. It has a 360 SB with a 2brl carb. It runs good going down the road but when I come to a stop it want's to die. I was told that it was running to rich at idle, but above that it runs good and lean. What could make this happen? But if I back out the mixture screws( to make it richer) it will idle, but still want's to die in gear. Can it be something with the timing ??? Well all the help I can get will be nice. Thank you

·
Registered
160 Posts
just throwing out ideas and i doubt this would be it but do you have an aggressive cam in it? and your saying it wants to idle rough only when under a load?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy I bought it from said he did put a cam in it but nothing crazy. When I bought it from him he started it and it ran fine it idled for a good 20 mins before we drove it. I drove it about 20 miles in town and it seemed to be OK. I got on the freeway to come home (about 50 miles at 65 to 70mph) it did great. got off the freeway and the first light I got to it died and has done it since. It was alittle on the rought side. and if the Choke is on it will idle fine too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yea that might be your timing. ive heard about that happening if a car has been sitting awhile and then you "get on it" before its properly "broke in" (lack of better termonolgy) it will through the timing off. well at least thats what happend with my camaro.

Do you have a tach? what rpm does it idle at when its about to die and what rpm does it run with the choke on?

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
If it idles better with the choke on and/or by adjusting the idle screws out then I would assume that the engine is running too lean. If its already too rich then the choke would make it run worse. Has the carb been overhauled recently? It never hurts to put a kit in it and check for vac leaks like broken vac lines. Is the egr hooked up? There is a possibility that the egr is leaking and causing the engine to die or idle rough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the egr has been removed and I have check all the lines and the egr cover plate for leaks, non found. Also my idle adjustment screw is all the way in just to keep it running. He never told me anything about doing anything to the carb. He said he got it of a 361 big block and put it on. How can a reset my carb and start over? you know to re-tune it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all

Thank you All for your help!! I got it going and boy she runs good. I adjusted the mixture screws out about 3 and 1/2 turns( yes it's making it run richer) but hey it worked. in now purss at 800 with no load and about 650 in gear. I tried to check the timing but I never found the tic when the light went off! I even tried to pant it white to make it show up better. So I'll look in to that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Don't even touch the carb until you have checked out everything else first. Make sure all the ignition system and vacuum advance is working. Make sure there is no vacuum leaks and that the egr valve isn't hanging open. It is natural instict to head right for the carb when a drivability problem crops up. Most of the time it is something else and by the time you find it the carb is all out of whack because you attacked it first.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Does Vacuum OPEN the EGR valve or CLOSE it?
I would assume it opens it (but you know what that gets you:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.