Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 305 in a Caprice that he just got started. Problem is, it will start but when you tap the gas the engine dies. Is this a fuel related problem?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could be. Try holding your hand over the choke horn or choking the carb, see if that helps. More background info equals more help from the board members.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge, it is not popping. I will ask him to check to make sure all the vac lines are hooked up. I will also find out as much more as I can about it.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
adb2f said:
My brother has a 305 in a Caprice that he just got started. Problem is, it will start but when you tap the gas the engine dies. Is this a fuel related problem?
Doc here:pimp:

Is this a Carbed or TBI engine?

If Carb, What type? Q~jet? If so look at the primary Pump on the q~jet...It may have dried up and cracked.

Doc:pimp:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no pooping and it idles fine so that tells me there isn't much of a vacuum leak. The car has probably sat for 3 months. Changing the spark plugs now but would that really make a difference if the car idles fine? The accelerator pump could be it. Maybe it's binding or something. I'll check and get back with you guys. Thanks.

Oh and it is a Qjet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts