Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back Yard Junky :)
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Off I just want to say that the carb is a 4175 holley spreadbore.

Is this a good Carb?

Reasoning is I have to adjust the carb once a week or it starts running rough and dumping gas into the engine. Its a little embarassing sitting at the stop light in nuetral trying to keep it running.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ed

G

·
it is a 650 holley carb you can still buy them for around 450.
you can get a rebuild kit to fix your problems its easy to do and super cheap.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
68NovaSS said:
Before you start throwing parts at it, verify your fuel pressure and float levels.
Agree with checking the fuel pressure. If the pressure is too high, fuel will get past the needle & seat and flood it out. Here are a few questions for you.

1. What motor are you running?
2. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator?
3. Do you know what fuel pressure you are running now?

·
Back Yard Junky :)
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im running a 5-7 psi electric fuel pump. The motor is a 350 with ported heads and its got a little bigger cam in it these are the specs

Duration @ .050" 214 int 214 Exh

SAE duration 287 287

Lobe spread 105 115

lash Hydraulic

Valve Lift ".444 ".444

Cam Lift ".296 ".296

I was told to take the carb off of it and throw it in the lake but I wanted someone elses opinion before i did so. I do not have a fuel pressure regulator on it.

I know I am getting tired of the 300 Kilometres to 80 literes. I know the motor should get better milage then that.

Thanks for the input fellas

Ed

·
More for Less Racer
21,124 Posts
Post up the List # off the front of the choke tower (example: L-6210...which is a 4165 calibrated for performance engines), so we know exactly which carb you have.

There are at least 50 different variations of the 4175 spreadbore carbs and all have different calibrations for different original applications, and some even have a "reverse idle" emissions type idle circuit instead of the common "standard" Holley idle circuit. The reverse idle carbs are much less forgiving of engine changes from stock.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do you have a filter on it?
Filter is important on these carbs(all carbs actually). Any small piece of scale or rubber will jam up the needle seat assembly, causing the bowl to overfill and drip fuel into the motor. If its happening regularly, you need to inspect your entire fuel system to find out where the crap is coming from. Deteriorated rubber fuel line is a common source.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.