Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hello, anyone experienced their carb scoop turning/not staying straight? I have an arias components scoop and after driving at about 65-80 mph it seems to shift. I have it pretty darn tight but it seems to keep moving.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Imagine engine torsional vibration occurring around the center of rotating/reciprocating mass and see how far away that component is from it, it must be getting quite a ride out there. Will need a stout "key feature" such as above-mentioned pin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m at work so I can’t take pictures of my engine but these are from the manufacturers website. Basically the same. The scoop is spinning around on the adapter plate inner ring. It’s all scratched up from it moving. Obviously there is an air filter in there too being held down by a plate with a wing nut on a stud. The adapter plate itself doesn’t spin but the scoop.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive exterior

Toy Trigger Auto part Air gun Gun barrel

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Another idea
Screw or socket head cap screw straight down. or horizontal through the air horn on the carb. Maybe a 10-24? Then locating notch on the adapter to "key" in place. 10-24 socket head is only .080 wide I think, off memory, anyway, it would not be noticeable or effect air cleaner sealing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is quite common issue with these scoops. On a roadster i used to own, two thin rods that I fabricated a bracket from the scoop to the rear manifold bolts. Very secure and don't have to worry about it coming loose turning or flying off at speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is quite common issue with these scoops. On a roadster i used to own, two thin rods that I fabricated a bracket from the scoop to the rear manifold bolts. Very secure and don't have to worry about it coming loose turning or flying off at speed.
I got annoyed with it and just got a velocity stack instead. Atleast now it doesn’t turn 🙄

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts