Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i recently posted my problem about getting my 200 engine to turn and now i almost got it started but when it trys to start the carb gives off a big explosion and even caught on fire the last time i tried. i have no idea what i am doing wrong. the car nearly started the time that the carb started on fire.
any help would be greatly appriecated.!

·
Registered
838 Posts
You should check your timing again sounds like its off a bit.

Dont panic just pull number 1 spark plug and have someone crank engine over little at a time till air is forcing your finger off sparkplug hole. Line up the timing mark then check that rotor is pointing to # 1 wire.

Check firing order too.

1 5 3 6 2 4

Distributor turns clockwise.

Also you could be having some carburetor problems too.
Those old 1 barrel carbs have a power valve & accelerator pump combined into 1 if that diafram ruptures youll have a gas leak straight into the manifold. If you had some big popbacks it might be ruptured.

I had a car that got water in carb, it froze then ruptured it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks for all the information. before i read the reply i was working on the car and the carb starting poping and tossing gas up in the air so im clueless as what to do next. ill try those hints you gave me and hopefully ill be able to start the car by the end of the week,

thanks for all the help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.