Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_chevy_ls1.html

did anyone try this? How well does it work compared to f.i.?

now we have those ugly-:drunk: ss coils all over the valve covers. Maybe somebody can convert the ignition to the distributorless sort like the Saturn s-cars, 3100v6, 3400v6, 3800v6, etc. See the pic. it's of my (but i sold it) '93 Saturn SC2. Built in Tennessee, by Americans, for Americans, to fight off Hondas (that car did it). But the piston rings were a bad design so they burn oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Looks neat but why would you want to do such a swap? FI is by far a better setup and as far as I know the LS1's with the FI made potentially as much if not more power than the Edelbrock setup claims (plus the benefits of the gas mileage). Stock power out of them exceeded 350 if I remember right. Unless you really love a carb it seems like taking a step back up the car evolution ladder.

BTW the LS1's are distributorless. They use individual coil packs for firing.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I suppose it works, otherwise they wouldn't be showing it off. If you're like me and don't like the way the LS1 intake looks, I suppose that could be a reason for switching. Other than that I can't understand why anyone would do it.

Larry

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think carb'ing it would be neat; as would carbing the new hemi. All those coild look sick ugly on the valve covers of both engines.

In my current car (and the saturn I had) the ignition used 2-tower coils where spark timing was computer controlled. They were in a little bunch. My saturn, which was a 4-popper had 2, and my v6 GrandAm uses 3. A v8 would need 4, and line these up on the intake manifold, probably behind the carb/TB, since the thermostat is up front.

yea I like old-school finned valve covers, they look alot better than a plastic engine cover saying Corvette, LS1, GTO, HEMI 5.7, or whatever. Let the air cleaner lid do the advertising. Like the old days before I was around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
Looks neat but why would you want to do such a swap? FI is by far a better setup and as far as I know the LS1's with the FI made potentially as much if not more power than the Edelbrock setup claims (plus the benefits of the gas mileage). Stock power out of them exceeded 350 if I remember right. Unless you really love a carb it seems like taking a step back up the car evolution ladder.

BTW the LS1's are distributorless. They use individual coil packs for firing.
He doesn't want a coil pack on each cylinder. I think he wants it so you cant see it.

I like the idea just because I like the look of the carb. Also its not always about the lastest and greatest its what you want, like, and are comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I was simply informing him and others reading that the LS1 was indeed distributorless.

While I agree its nice to go what your comfortable with, the fact still remains that as a whole (performance, efficientcy etc) the carb cant compete with todays technology.

If you really love your carb then do it. If you want to be different then do it. If you are gunning for more power and/or more mileage . . . stick with the FI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the ignition he's talking about is waste spark, it fires 2 plugs at once, one on the exhaust and one on the comression strokes, the one on the exhaust stroke does nothing, there for the term "waste spark"

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ECOTEC 4-banger engines use coil-on-plug- there's no traditional plug wires for it. :)

I like the old-school look; carbs are simple and so is F.I. but if I were to start with a LS1 minus intake, I'd go with the carb, or if I felt like it go with TBI. If I got the mill with f.i., then I'd prolly go with it. Depends on the situation. And I'd go for a less unsightly ignition system.

Today I took a plug wire off the coil in my Grand Am (it uses the 2-tower coils as mentioned) and cranked it over. The spark sounded like a propane grill lighter on steriods, and in broad daylight a spark could be seen making it's way down to an appropriate ground, prolly the back side of the intake manifold where 3 of those things sit lined up. So if I did have a LS1 and did that ignition conversion, there's be no question about having a weak spark.

***fyi***
My ideal car would be the new '68 Mustang GT... umm 2005 Mustang GT (no rental-spec v6 for me). Musclecar-era looks, modern performance. But I'd choose a new GTO if they weren't so damn expensive(that's why they are selling like ****). A little more 64-74 GTO DNA wouldn't hurt in the styling department.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
someone in my f-body club did that. He put an LT1 in his monte carlo, and was having problems with the optispark and just went with a carb intake. he has been having tuning issues though, so no tellin how it will perform yet.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
If you know a little bit about technology, you know that COP is by far the best and most powerful ignition out there. If you dont like them on the valve covers move them to the fire wall or build a box to contain them. Might take some special plug wires, but that is not a big deal. BTW, COP is distributorless.......

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
C.O.P. . . . Coil on Plug right?

Thats what the new hemi's have I believe. 8 coils, 16 plugs.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Yep on the COP. The problem with your typical old school coil setup is that as RPM goes up the charge time of the coil decreases. In low RPM there is not much of a problem, but as the RPM goes up and the engine needs more spark power the coil has less time to charge and discharge. With COP the coils have plenty of time for the coils to charge between firing.

MSD might actually be available in high RPM with COP where it is not with a single coil due to decreased dwell time. I am not 100% sure, but I think that the genboard I am running will do MSD over the entire RPM range with COP. I know it does MSD and will drive 8 COPs....

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Would a conversion be hard on a typical SBC? Would it even be possible to use the distributor and cap setup as the trigger for the individual coils?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Absolutely possible and I will probably do it when I get bored and want to spend some money. Mallory or MSD make a hall sensor that is cam driven like a distributor. Of course the best way would be to just install a crank trigger. There are some high end controllers out there that I am sure can do the job of tieing it all together. If you like DIY, the vem genboard V3.# can also do it and for a fraction of the cost. There are several engines up and running with COP on the genboard.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I wonder what performance/efficiency benefits can be had from converting to such a setup.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Better high RPM power and stability (fewer lean/rich cylinder dropoffs) using rich/lean mixtures. The lean mixture "lightoff" ability is what is driving the manufacturers to go this route.

Its a good change for rodders although a lot more expensive and slightly more complicated. Definetly the way to go with pressurized induction or with nitrous.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
I wonder what performance/efficiency benefits can be had from converting to such a setup.
Cant answer that really. You certainly would not have the problem of chasing ignition gremlins.

Chris

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the coild on the new hemi sparked the plug on the opposite side. (ex: coil on top of cylinder 1 would light cylinder 2's fire). Maybe I'm wrong...

So what is this.. I see it but don't know what it's called... it's a distrubutor with a coil (a square one not cylindrical) in the middle, and is said to be really powerful. It's advertised in speed part catalogs, and has a little high-voltage warning on the coil. What would that be considered? Yes I know that LS1s have no distributor, but most v8s we use and build out there still use 'em.

·
Registered
52 Posts
actualy, a company called Electromotive engine controlls (avalible at www.racerpartswholesale.com ) makes a complete waste spark setup crank trigger included for 601$ but if ur gunna spend that kinda cash do what i did and get a magneto, they look cooler too (u just have to wire in a shut down relay tho, kinda a pain in the ***) just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 21 Posts