Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recognize this carb and maybe tell me how the choke is supposed to work. It is sitting on a 351 W engine.

I am in the middle of wiring and by the looks of it I guess this is not electric. Maybe there is an electric solenoid I can add to it if I were to get rid of what I am assuming is some sort of vacuum pod but that is only a guess.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Old(s) Fart
6,080 Posts
The carb is a stock Autolite 2bbl. The choke is a stock hot air choke coil. It is not a vacuum pod. There is a threaded fitting at about 7:00 relative to the choke coil in the photo. The carb draws heated air into the choke through that fitting to heat the bimetallic coil and open the choke. Usually the hot air comes from a choke stove built into the exhaust manifold. A small tube connects the choke stove to the carb. I don't know if there was an electrically-heated choke coil used on a Autolite carb or not.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good explanation Joe, thanks for that. Any ideas on what I can use to get this choke working, maybe someone has some pictures. I have nothing coming from my manifolds that are going to work.

This engine had headers and I had to go with stock manifolds but they are mix and match pair and not sure of the years.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
brake line ?

some parts stores have a rack of premade metal brake and fuel lines, find one and the fittings to match yours and run the tube down along side the header tube with the summit parts shown. I think some of the factory tubes drew clean air from the aircleaner down one tube to the hot spot in the cast iron manifold and the hot air came back up the other tube. Bone yard time ?. .

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Very good explanation Joe, thanks for that. Any ideas on what I can use to get this choke working, maybe someone has some pictures. I have nothing coming from my manifolds that are going to work.

This engine had headers and I had to go with stock manifolds but they are mix and match pair and not sure of the years.
There are electric choke conversions for the 4100 4-barrel that might work, might even be a conversion for the carb you have (2100?).

Then there's a manual choke conversion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.