Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1979 malibu 355 turbo 350 full posi etc etc etc... this car hasnt seen any street time what so ever. i know it has alot of carbon build up and i was wondering what i could use to get rid of the carbon in the motor. im running 93 octane in it right now. this cars motor is 5 years brand new maybe 2 or 3 miles on it. bought it from my uncle 2 years ago and been spending lots of $$$ on mods that he didnt do. will the motor lose the carbon build up as its driven more???

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
fast79malibu said:
i have a 1979 malibu 355 turbo 350 full posi etc etc etc... this car hasnt seen any street time what so ever. i know it has alot of carbon build up and i was wondering what i could use to get rid of the carbon in the motor. im running 93 octane in it right now. this cars motor is 5 years brand new maybe 2 or 3 miles on it. bought it from my uncle 2 years ago and been spending lots of $$$ on mods that he didnt do. will the motor lose the carbon build up as its driven more???

Probably. You know... "blow the carbon out of it".

Why so much carbon in such an extremely short time?

A thing that has worked for many years is to spray water into the intake as the engine is running. It is like an engine enema from the "front end". NO doesn't hurt a thing.

Get one of those hand spray bottles like for bath tub cleaner, 409, Tilex, and spray the snot out of it at 2000 rpm. :thumbup:

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
I just slowly pour a coke bottle of water down the carb while holding the throttle open enough so it will not stall out. All of the old timers used to say that you hadn't had a complete tune-up untill the mechanic poured a glass of water down it. Just pour it very slowly and keep the engine reved up.

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Is that potentially dangerous on a higher compression motor? As I would imagine the water would be diluting the fuel mixture lowering the octane level since you're putting in more water than the engine is taking in gasoline. Or am I delusional?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Drewnashty said:
Is that potentially dangerous on a higher compression motor? As I would imagine the water would be diluting the fuel mixture lowering the octane level since you're putting in more water than the engine is taking in gasoline. Or am I delusional?
Water increases knock resistence. It absorbs heat, turns to steam, and the expanding steam increases cylinder pressure (BMEP) power. Used extensively on WWII piston engine aircraft and similar engines on post war piston airliners. Usually added 10% to power. Used for takeoff and Emergency WAR Power, as it was termed back then. (The Nazis used nitrous)

Still used today on race engines.... but not popular. Coming back for turbo cars.

Was used in late 70s and mid 80s to supress detonation. Holley used to sell water injection kits. I had one on a 70 350/350 Impala that needed 100/130 AVgas otherwise.

·
sitis nam accelero
150 Posts
Oh, wow, neat. So I am delusional thx. :(

That's actually very interesting I never knew that. I had vaguely heard of water injection before.

Is water and gasoline solulable? Just start pouring a couple of gallons of water in the gas tank for now on hehe :p

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ayuh,.....

Henry Highrise is Right on the Money............

Run it up to 1500/2000rpms,+ Pour it in........

As long as you allow the motor to keep running, you Can't Hurt a thing.....

When I Know I'm going to be tearing down a motor, or pulling the Heads.....
I do this Just before it's Pulled......

Makes Clean Up of the pistons,+ Head combustion chambers a Breeze,.... As in they're Already Clean.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.