Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:welcome:

Hi!

On an episode of the T.V. show Rides I saw where they painted the sides of an SUV to resemble carbon fiber, I was wondering in any body is familiar with this paint effect, how it is achieved, etc..

Thanks,
Mike

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Chip Foose did the SUV for the wife of Christopher Titus. He sprayed a base color on and then sprayed thru some material. I just can't remember the material. Maybe this will jog someones memory. The way he did it was simple though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure on a vehicle what is used but i have painted some rc car bodies and used shelf liner for kitchen cabinets the rubber kind that has square holes in it. It gives the perfect woven effect when srayed in black and grey throught the liner. Dont know if this helps but worked for me on a smaller scale,

·
Registered
717 Posts
you spray your base color, usually black then apply fiberglass joint tape for drywall. it has a mild adhesive, just enough to hold itself to the surface. take a touchup gun and mist a mix of 80/20 graphite and gold or orange pearl. remove the tape and you got it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thumbup:

Thanks every body, I remembered that they used that yellow dry wall tape, but wasn't sure what colors wood be used, how would you do the 80/20 Grey, gold.

Thanks, again
Mike:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
mix up some intercoat clear (clear basecoat) then just add the dry pearl to it. you can mix it all together or try the graphite first then the gold. the intercoat and the pearls are all available from house of color. you need to expieremnt on a test panel first to make sure you get the desired effect. instead of spraying directly into the panel try spraying at an angle. this will make each little square have a small fade to it and look a little more realistic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts