Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I currently have a smaller carbeurator on my roadrunner, it is a holly with vacume secondaries...my neighbor has a big 750 edelbrock (I think with mechanical secondaries) he wants to sell it to me for $100.00 I want more power in my 440(it sounds and goes like a damn 318!) Anyways im not sure if id be wasting time and money switching carbs...will it make much of a diffrence without putting in a big cam and changing compression? :confused:

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Any idea on how big your carb is now? What do you use car for, street or racing?

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calccarb.htm

With 85% VE at 5500 RPM it says it will only want 600cfm.
With 100% at 5500 it can handle 700 CFM

I think a mechanical 750 would over carb that motor. But for 100 bucks I would take it as long as its in good shape. Never know when youll need one. Especially if you plan on tearing into that 440.

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
bigger is not always better. You could try it and always use the one that gives the best idle and mpg.

For $100 jump on it. Then you will have it for when you need it.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
mrobby440 said:
Hi Guys,

I want more power in my 440(it sounds and goes like a damn 318!)

:confused:

Fix the problems.

Low compression smog era engine?
Small cam?
Worn out?
Poorly timed cam?
Poorly timed ignition?

440 Magnums ran with a 625 Carter AVS and with sharp tune and a good driver usually kicked a 440 six pack car. :thumbup:
LIved it, argue if you want to.

You can't expect a carb change to make yours into a race car. :nono:

But I'd try the carb change in case your Holley is really screwed up. Make sure the throttle bores fit your manifold.

edited: If it SOUNDS like a 318, then that is probably low compression and/or retarded cam timing.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
low compression engines have a more "puff puff" sound to them, even if the idle is kinda rumpy, where a high-compression engine has a more defined pop.

What year, mods, etc. does the 383 have? Those things can fly.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
low compression engines have a more "puff puff" sound to them, even if the idle is kinda rumpy, where a high-compression engine has a more defined pop.

What year, mods, etc. does the 383 have? Those things can fly.

383 ????????

ah, ya, the pop is from compression blow-down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts