Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am working on a quadarjet carb i am haveing some problems with vacum the carb is off a 73 454 i put a kit in a few months ago it was my first time it worked great for a month or better now it is sucking vacum through the timed spark port all the time what i mean is at idle. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quadrajet issues

You are saying that your vacuum source changed after you rebuilt it ? I don't think this is possible.If you have vacuum at the port all the time you have ported vacuum which is from under the throttle plates .You should be connected above the throttle plates so when you crack the throttle you begin to get vacuum.Are you connected on the right side above the throttle plates ?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Its actually quite possible. The Qjet kit comes with 4 or 5 gaskets for the TB. If you assembled it with the wrong one and it lets a gap where there is supposed to be gasket, your ported source has just become a manifold source.

·
Registered
36 Posts
it worked great for a month or better now it is sucking vacum through the timed spark port all the time what i mean is at idle. :D[/QUOTE]

As he said it worked great for awhile , what changed ?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Now we're on the right track. common problem.

Advance the distributor a few degrees and then bring the idle back down. I'll bet that vacuum signal goes away fast.

·
likes chevy trucks & boobies
1,971 Posts
makes sense to me :D

if the timign is retarded enough ot need the idle speed screw to be turned so much that the throttle blades are open too much at idle then it makes sense that the ported source would have a vacuum signal at idle :D

nice :D

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts