Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
cmcob2 said:
i am looking for a basic recipe for parts cleaner. $20.00 a gallon is very expensive when smaller amounts are needed.
I just bought a gallon of degreaser for $8 (I think) at harbor freight. It worked well. It was called 'concentrated degreaser' no brand name on it.

Use gloves - it took the top layer of skin off my hands.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've never heard of antifreeze working? I always use the Walmart stuff Supertech, carb cleaner. Not sure what this stuff is, but it works awesome on carbs, oil etc. A can goes a long way and it's $1.70 a can. I usually pick up a few cans when I go to WM because it doesn't stay on the shelves long at WalMart. I've tried the other brands of cleaners, but they don't work as well, cost double, and leave a oily film that Supertech doesn't. The carb cleaners works great for killing black widows, wasp and other pests as well. One shot, they drop. The other brands, they drop, but go somewhere else and make babies. :D

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Kerosene does indeed work quite well to remove oil and grease however it does next to nothing to remove carburetor gunk and accumulated crud on internal engine parts. The carb "dip" that is available at auto parts stores works ok as far as removing the internal built varnish in carbs but it sure don't do a lot for the external appearance, I have yet to use the anti freeze for that however.

One thing I have no use for is the "Gunk" type engine de-greasers in the spray cans from auto parts or Wal-Mart. Following the directions on the can you start with a warm dry greasy engine, spray the stuff on, wait a few minutes then just hose it off- PRESTO, you now have a cold,wet greasy engine! :drunk:

·
Registered
800 Posts
oldred [I said:
One thing I have no use for is the "Gunk" type engine de-greasers in the spray cans from auto parts or Wal-Mart. Following the directions on the can you start with a warm dry greasy engine, spray the stuff on, wait a few minutes then just hose it off- PRESTO, you now have a cold,wet greasy engine! :drunk:
[/I]
I agree with you on Gunk. Actually, the stuff works well to remove grease, etc from engines, but when you spray it on and it desolves, make sure you have a pan or something underneath because the oil and everything drips on the ground and is very messy. The other problem with Gunk is the smell. It's horrible. When the engine heats up, you smell Gunk degreaser for months. I threw away several can of the crap.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
302 Z28 said:
Anti Freeze works like magic, especially when you put it in an old crock pot and heat it up. Soak parts in overnight and you will be amazed at the results.Vince

Don't know if you ever used it to clean gunked up engine parts like cylinder heads and such but it does work for that and works quite well, thanks for putting me onto it I have been using the stuff ever since you did! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
oldred said:
Don't know if you ever used it to clean gunked up engine parts like cylinder heads and such but it does work for that and works quite well, thanks for putting me onto it I have been using the stuff ever since you did! :thumbup:

I use oven cleaner on my motor's,Work's very good..But It don't like Alum.It will turn the Alum black.. :pain:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
NEW INTERIORS said:
I use oven cleaner on my motor's,Work's very good..But It don't like Alum.It will turn the Alum black.. :pain:
Yep, found that out a long time ago when I used it to clean my dirty Kawasaki 900. It took me a lot of elbow grease to get rid of that gray looking scum from the oven cleaner.

Vince

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.