Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 64 Chevy 327 intake manifold # 3866922 and would like to mount an Edelbrock carburetor on it, is an adapter needed? The intake and Edelbrock carb do not match up
Wood Bicycle part Font Rim Art

·
More for Less Racer
20,654 Posts
Yes, you will need an adapter plate.

That intake originally fit the old Rochester 4GC 4Jet carb,(small square bore pattern)....the carb that was replaced by the Rochester Quadra-Jet (spread-bore pattern) in later years.

That manifold only directly fits the 4G/4GC carb, it will need an adapter plate for anything else.

Is there a specific reason you want to use this old intake?? It is nothing special power-wise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is low enough to fit with an air cleaner under the hood of my 76 jaguar xjs that has a Chevy 350 conversion, I didn't want to use an aluminum manifold because I wanted to keep more weight on the front end. I have the manifold already and just wanted to use it with an Edelbrock

·
Old(s) Fart
5,941 Posts
I've bolted E-brock carbs in place of 4GC carbs with no adapter needed. The E-brock has both sets of bolt patterns to mount to the manifold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still looks like it needs an adapter, there is a big air gap between the carb & manifold

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
A piece of wood works great as a template. Then you can make it out of aluminum or 3d print a adapter.

You just need a plate to extend the throat of the intake.

One of those grab some plywood and play around with diffrent ideas for a few hours kind of things.

If you need a adapter for the bolts then it is a matter of bolts going down into the intake and bolts going up for the carb. Both sets of bolts set into the adapter so the bolt top is flush and the adapter needs to be at least 1/2" thick(steel) while 3/4" is perfered for aluminum/plastic.

Use aviation sealant #2 around the carb bolts, carb base, and bottom of the carb/top of the intake to eliminate potential vacume leaks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
A piece of wood works great as a template. Then you can make it out of aluminum or 3d print a adapter.

You just need a plate to extend the throat of the intake.

One of those grab some plywood and play around with diffrent ideas for a few hours kind of things.

If you need a adapter for the bolts then it is a matter of bolts going down into the intake and bolts going up for the carb. Both sets of bolts set into the adapter so the bolt top is flush and the adapter needs to be at least 1/2" thick(steel) while 3/4" is perfered for aluminum/plastic.

Use aviation sealant #2 around the carb bolts, carb base, and bottom of the carb/top of the intake to eliminate potential vacume leaks.
Since 1962 I've never ever been told to or read any instructions for or seen the need for any type of gasket sealer on or around carburetor gaskets or carb mounting bolts , for starters it would be messy & a short lived fix .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buy an edelbrock performer intake off of ebay for $100. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That is an older smaller secondary bore intake, I would use something else. I know the '68 and up were the larger secondary, maybe a '67.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just gave away a 4-jet carb that would fit that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buy an edelbrock performer intake off of ebay for $100. Problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts