Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 Lincoln Versailles (what's that) with a 302 and the dreaded variable venturi carburetor. I have an Edelbrock 4bbl carburetor to swap in but then I found out that the ignition system controls the air fuel ratio and some other undesirable features. What parts do I need to delete and replace from this complex and obsolete mess.
Thank You

·
Registered
408 Posts
You could use a HEI distributor, or even an old duraspark distributor for just the reluctor. A mallory 6AL ignition box and coil.
You have to figure out the centrifigal advance so you know what your total advance would be.

Oh unless you know the history on this engine, pull a valve cover and check for sludge in the engine. I say this because, after working on many of them, my experience has been that the "smog" years are very dirty running engines. I have opened up several to find the lifter valley almost level full of Goo. Also timing chains are weak and many have a nylon gear on the cam.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am about to revive this car and I figured that the reason it was put away was the carb because the air cleaner housing was in the trunk. I was under the illusion that replacing the carb with a regular 2 bbl carb or putting in the Edelbrock manifold or one of my Holleys would work. That is until I learned about the multifunction ignition.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Someone actually ressurecting a Versailles instead of grabbing the rear axle and brakes? COOL!
Another option would be to contact Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) and get a distributor/ignition from them.
Ditto on smog motors being dirty pigs, timing chains and the like. MGK is spot on.

POST PICS!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an MSD HEI distributor in my parts stash that I was planning on using on my OTHER Versailles, a 1977 with a 351.
I plan on removing all the smog crap that is non-functional anyway.
Thank you

·
Registered
408 Posts
The 351 and 302 have different size oil pump drive hex and different length.
The smog stuff that made it a pig, was more than the crap they hung on the outside. They messed with cam timing and valve overlap trying to drop CO levels but got more NO2. Made for sooty combustion. Then they stuck a 2.75:1 gear in it, trying to regain mileage lost by F.U. valve/cam timing.
This was the Jimmie Carter era with oil embargo / gas shortage and a rabid EPA fighting everybody.
But you can build it right.

·
Registered
14,878 Posts
I hardly know where to begin, all the manufacturers played with their high end cars till they killed their market with the continuous stream of failures.

A 79 can be back dated to a conventional carb and ignition. The external stuff removed to clean things up. You really need to get a good manual for the car you’re going to be deep into electrical and vacuum systems. You’ll have to replace cam and head’s a stiffer rear axle ratio and a 4 speed overdrive transmission would be good additions as well as a 351 or if your up to dealing with fixing it’s short comings an M400 is an interesting swap.

Bogie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts