Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a alloy block V8 (BOP-R-L ) going back into a VW square back, the carb has always been mounted in the usual position but because the engine is now facing backwards ,should i reverse the carb on the manifold? it's easy enough to do .It's a carter AVS .I haven't driven this thing yet,it's been off the road for over 20 years and needed a fair bit of work to sort out.

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
20,110 Posts
It doesn't matter as far a general performance is concerned. Only thing you may have to worry about is the forces of acceleration will now be pushing the fuel in the front bowl away from the jets and power valve entry's, requiring jet extensions and a power valve hood/cap to extend their entry's to the other side of the bowl where the fuel now is.

Much the same as how a rear bowl has to be set up for hard acceleration when carb is mounted in normal direction....plus you've got idle and transition fuel needs to thin about.
Whoops, just saw you are using a Carter and not a Holley.....Probably easier for you to just spin the carb around rather than modify it. ;)

Ford did the reversed Holley carb mounting on dual Holley 4 barrel 427 FE Hi Performance engines in the early 1960's, due to space to clear the distributor.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I think I'd be more concerned with how the linkage worked than I would how the carb faced on the motor. Whichever makes the easiest linkage and fuel supply lines is what I'd do.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, i think you are right actually. it has the SA configuration which was for MOPAR automatics but suits the VW to a T.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carb is a Carter AVS which has two floats ,one each side of the carb, today they are better known as Edelbrock carbs. The carb has had very little use So i will try it first and then swap it around to see if it runs better ....when i get this thing going I mean .:)

It doesn't matter as far a general performance is concerned. Only thing you may have to worry about is the forces of acceleration will now be pushing the fuel in the front bowl away from the jets and power valve entry's, requiring jet extensions and a power valve hood/cap to extend their entry's to the other side of the bowl where the fuel now is.

Much the same as how a rear bowl has to be set up for hard acceleration when carb is mounted in normal direction....plus you've got idle and transition fuel needs to thin about.
Whoops, just saw you are using a Carter and not a Holley.....Probably easier for you to just spin the carb around rather than modify it. ;)

Ford did the reversed Holley carb mounting on dual Holley 4 barrel 427 FE Hi Performance engines in the early 1960's, due to space to clear the distributor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, it appears to be quite level so i should be able to turn it around and still retain the same horizontal plane. The manifold is an Australian made single plane unit,similar to the original Edelbrock tarantula manifolds .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep!. It's a leyland 4400 series engine made in Australia in the 70's for a locally made car,the leyland P76. it differs mainly in the taller block to the others but many parts interchange easily. The intakes don't unless spacer blocks are used on the Leyland when a BOPR manifold is chosen. i have another couple of engines for spares as these things are not very fashionable .this makes them cheap and easy to buy ,a bit like early hemis when i was playing with them decades ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_P76

·
Old(s) Fart
5,791 Posts
Yep!. It's a leyland 4400 series engine made in Australia in the 70's for a locally made car,the leyland P76. it differs mainly in the taller block to the others but many parts interchange easily. The intakes don't unless spacer blocks are used on the Leyland when a BOPR manifold is chosen. i have another couple of engines for spares as these things are not very fashionable .this makes them cheap and easy to buy ,a bit like early hemis when i was playing with them decades ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_P76
Thanks. I'm familiar with the P76 tall deck blocks. You can fit some interesting stroker cranks into them. Good luck.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,333 Posts
The 4 barrel carb on the Offenhauser intake in my '36 roadster has always been backwards but I don't think it knows it.

I did have one educated fella ask me why my engine was installed backwards. :D:D:D

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts