Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it will be awhile before i get to this, but i fwiw i have tried to build a one piece headliner out of fiberglass - was a nightmare and in the end it didn't fit - so it sits in the basement.. i respect that the upholstery guys on the board make a living doing this - so i am not asking for a turorial but anything anyone cares to share would be great. my main questions are what material are most of these made from (1.8th luan? or ?) and how are the bends achieved.. I could have been successful with the fiberglass but i was hanging mat upside down in the car - had no way of flipping my nova on it;s lid... heh heh

Thanks alot for any replies :)

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The main thing you have to worry about is how to get a good framework up on the roof of the car to hold the plywood base for a "hard" headliner. If you don't have any steel framework to attach the base to, you need to build a framework to hold the base. I had to build a wooden framework and attach it to the car frame up near the ceiling to hold the plywood base. Then you screw the plywood base to the framework. When you get that far, you're ready for the upholstery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.