Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the trick to install a one piece carpet in a car? What do you do to make the transition over the trans hump? Or do you have to cut and seam the rug? Ken k1k2.ilnetzero.net

·
Registered
21 Posts
:cool: The secret to installing one piece auto carpet is heat. The warmer it is the more plyable and limber it will be to put in. Usually setting it out in the sun for a while wil do the trick. At this time of year it might be hard to do this in Il. A heat gun or a strong hair dryer will also work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It depends on the car or truck its going into,how much of a trans hump, what kind of curves and contours it has to fit some get complicated where the floor ,firewall,and hump come together. If you can't find formed carpet for your application it probably will have to be seamed,a good upholstery shop can do whats needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i replaced to carpet in my 69 bird and i had the same problem. To be honest i cut the carpt around the middle of the tranny hump and put my shifter over the seam so that you couldn't see it. The rest of the cut is under the two front seats. Heat is also key to a good fit.

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
First thing, be REALLY careful with the heat gun. Nylon carpet can easily be burned. It will take the heat for about 10 seconds, then all of the sudden it will melt. The only carpet that has a stretch and can be formed properly around the tranny hump is called Needle Punch carpet, but DONT use it. The stuff will wear out in like a week. On certain Nylon carpets with a rubber type backing, you can heat it and mold it to shapes, but it cant be stretched enough to mold it around a medium to large sized tranny hump. The correct way the be able to mold a carpet is to use indirect heat, like in a oven (but not in an oven you cook in).

Save yourself the hastle and buy a molded carpet kit. Auto Custom Carpets has a carpet kit for almost any car imaginable.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Berber carpeting is sometimes held together with a plasticized backing that has a nylon net embedded into it. You can remove that nylon netting on the back and hand form the carpet around mild compound curves ... but once the netting is removed, it's best that you cement the carpeting to the underlying insulation to keep it from unraveling.

That process, combined with a careful application of heat, may get you where you want to go.

Good luck, bro'!

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts