Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just stripped out my oil plug hole in the SBC oil pan.
Of course it was leaking around the rear part of the seal so I'm thinking of getting a cast alum pan.

White's Performance Import Pan

Anyone use one of these?
I'm sick of sheet metal pans as they always leak.

And I am using the Felpro 1 piece seal already and it still leaks. :drunk:

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
There are several methods to "fix" an oil pan w/a stripped bung.

There are oversized plugs that cut new threads as it's installed (and cause chips to go into the pan), there are rubber expansion plugs, and other types that work to varying degrees. Some require the removal of the pan- the rubber expanding plugs work well, but will- over time- degrade.

BTW, be sure the pan- and not just the plug- is what's stripped.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I've had less problems with stone-stock OEM pans than anything else. Those cheezy chrome offshore units are the worst.

The only pretty much bulletproof system I've seen is on my '91 Ford pickup 300-6. It has a one-piece rear seal, one-piece gasket and thick steel rails that fit along the sides and back of the pan to prevent bending the pan rails by over-tightening of the bolts. No leaks. Period.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Before GM started using the pan rail strips, I used those w i d e v-cover hold-downs to spread the pressure. Just a touch on the bench grinder to remove those 2 spots on the ends so the entire piece will contact the pan rail worked good.

The v-cover hold-downs won't work on all of the holes, but better than nothing when dealing with the driver side dipstick pans.

FWIW, the pass. dipstick pan rail strips can be cut up and used on the older pans.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have a friend that got stuck on his way to the Grand Canyon a few years back in his '32 sedan delivery. He hit a piece of 2X4 and cracked the Cal Custom alum. pan.

Now they are a quality alum. pan but it cracked it so bad that he had to get towed back to Williams and buy a new STEEL STOCK pan. He said he'll never go back.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSedan64 said:
I've never understood why many discard the pan rails. I wish they'de give them to me.
I've still got mine and have no sealing problems along the pan rails.

I guess I should just weld up a new grade 8 nut on the inside.
Actually, I may weld it on the outside of the pan on the bottom so I can get all the oil out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.