Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some gear drives on ebay for a reasonable price but I want to get one that is for one going to work on my engine, and is going to hold up. I found one by c.a.t. power and I was wondering if anyone had heard of or tried this brand. I am putting it on a 350 bored .060 with a 280 cam. the motor I am told is the older style. This is my first build. how do I know if the bolt pattern on the cam is the same as the gear drive before I order it. any information is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
99% sure these are Chinese-made. Not that being Chinese is automatically junk, but they are an emerging nation that produces some good stuff, some junk.

China is, in my opinion, pretty much in the same place that Japan was following WWII. Most anything coming out of Japan during that transition period was junk, but look at what they have been able to accomplish. It might be difficult in this day and age to find manufactured products from Japan that could be called junk. The same thing will most likely happen in China.

Even in this early stage of their development, we are seeing some very high quality products being exported. I noted with interest that Starrett has begun manufacturing a new line of measuring tools in China. They are one of the oldest and most respected tool companies in the United States, so for them to begin manufacturing in China tells me that they have confidence in the capabilities of the country.

Here is the CAT (Cal Auto Transpeed) site showing their gear drives.....
http://www.catpep.com/searchengine/searchengine.asp?parttype=16&enginetype=4

Bottom line: Would I buy their stuff? No, not yet. For something as critical as driving the camshaft, I'd opt for a known and tested brand, regardless of price.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
artpetit81 said:
I'm looking for a lower cost but good quality for my "econo rod".
Why are you intent on a gear drive in the first place? They offer nothing that a chain doesn't already have, w/less issues w/fitment and harmonics.

IMO, spend your money on a gear/chain set-up of known quality and quit pissing around w/unnecessary complications. K.I.S.S. applies here.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
In all honesty for a street strip car it is pretty hard to beat the oem chain and nylon covered timing gear. The nylon of the cam gear does a very good job of isolating the valve train from crankshaft harmonics.Which is the main advantage of a belt drive setup this cuts down greatly on spark scatter esp. at higher speeds.Just be sure and get the chain and gear from a pre 71 car as later ones came with retarded timing to meet emissions standards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.