Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a perkins diesel engine that i got running. it was ceased from not running for 20 years. i pulled the injectors out and filed the cylinders with diesel, let it sit for a few days and it cranked over after a few tries. it probably got a little bit of water in the cylinders, but not much.
so i got it running really well but when i was running it again tonight (first time in the dark) i saw sparks coming out of the muffler. lots of them.

could this be the piston rings coming apart because of rough cylinder walls or just a rusty muffler. theres about 5 feet of pipe including the muffler.

thanks

·
all jacked up on mountain dew
66 Posts
more than likely its just the rust in the pipe and muffler making the sparks.what do you plan to do with it? what size is it? i have a big v8 perkins engine it sounds awesome with straight pipes but its not really a engine you want in a truck good low end torque but thats about it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont really know much about the engine other than its old and has 4 cylinders. its probably early 60s. im planing on putting it in my flat bed farm truck but if it decides to blow up then i need to find something else.

do rings spark a lot when there coming apart or do they just spark a little bit. im just trying to figure out whats up before i spend money on it. its going to need an injection pump soon.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.