Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to get a manual steering box from a '69 Chevelle SS to replace my power steering on a '68 Nova. The manual gear comes with the pitman arm coupler, etc.

Does anyone know if this is a bolt on change, if I need any additional parts from what I have with the power steering in the car or what I should be prepared for making this swap assuming the manual gear is in good condition or can be refurbished? Any idea what ratio the '69 Chevelle came with?

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
534 Posts
68NovaSS said:
I've got a chance to get a manual steering box from a '69 Chevelle SS to replace my power steering on a '68 Nova. The manual gear comes with the pitman arm coupler, etc.

Does anyone know if this is a bolt on change, if I need any additional parts from what I have with the power steering in the car or what I should be prepared for making this swap assuming the manual gear is in good condition or can be refurbished? Any idea what ratio the '69 Chevelle came with?

Thanks, Larry
Man I would advise you to keep the power steering, the stuff off the 69 may work , but WHY!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Years ago I went the other way my my 68 El Camino (Manual to Power). Box is a bolt on, but the PS has a larger Pitman shaft diameter so you do have to run a Pitman arm off a PS box.

You will need to match the size and shape of the Pitman arm you have on the PS box with the one that comes with the Chevell box and see if they are the same (except for the shaft diameter). If they are you should be good to go otherwise you will need Pitman arm off a manual steering Nova.

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
You only have to switch out the pitman arm. I think they had 3.5-4 turns lock to lock. You can have them rebuilt to a 2.5 turns if you would like a faster box.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
My '69 & '72 both had 6 turns. Took forever just to change lanes. A longer pitman arm (T/A F-body part) and shorter steering arms (from a car with power-steering) dropped them to 4 turns, quickening the steering and keeping my shoulders in shape for years. You do need a manual-steering pitman arm, and maybe a coupler (rag joint). If the manual box has a good rag joint on it, just use that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts