Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975, CJ 5, with a 258 inline 6. The throttle has a stock (I believe) sheaved cable that runs from an arm from above the throttle pedal, through the fire wall, does sweeping 90 degree turn and Connects to the carb (probably not stock) linkage. The carb linkage is on the side near the firewall and moves right to left (parallel to the firewall). The Jeep also has a manual choke on the opposite side of the carb that moves in the same direction as the throttle.

My question is if different carbs, that I can use, might have the linkage mounted so the action is forward and reverse? Or can this carb be turned 90 degrees? I thought this might clean up the engines appearance if the cables are not strung all around the engine. I would like to fabricate a mechanical linkage if it's feasible.

I will attach some pixs to this post if that would help members advise me. Thanks.......

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You can purchase aftermarket throttle cables like " lokar" and route the cable however you like to however you can mount the carb .The reason " hard" linkage was done away with was , at least partially , its habit of sticking/ binding . Same goes for trans cables .

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You just need a cam or lever on a fulcrum to change the direction.

Find a spot on the carb to mount the lever directly or fabricate a mount mounted to the base for the lever to mount to.
Then have your throttle cable pull the lets say top while the bottom of the lever pushes on a rod attached to the throttle.

I perfer to build my own as "kits" tend to have slop for "adjustment". Building your own is often also cheaper and can be done in a afternoon.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I’ve done the same cerial.
Used bellcranks.
Marine supply shops have them.
Here’s an example.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info, thank you all. 2old2fast's comment is well taken I think the cable style will be much easier to manage and probably more dependable.

The carb is a Holley 4412-2 Performer. Sounds like this is a pretty common carb (per Holly's web page) used for circle track etc. I am thinking about getting a Holley electric choke kit. This would allow me to clean up (get rid of) the choke cable laying across the engine. I would have to call Holly to confirm weather I need the kit for internal or external vacuum.

If you look at the third and fourth picture below it looks like I could unbolt the carb at the exhaust manifold and turn it 90 degrees (linkage towards the engine). If that's alright to do, it would align the throttle linkage on the carb with where the cable enters the engine compartment. I'm just not sure if there is some reason the carb must be oriented as it is because of fuel flow or something.

Seems like that would allow me to shorten the cable for a cleaner install. Fixing a bracket for the cable should be no problem. I hope then I can figure out a proper way to connect the cable to the throttle linkage without that plastic piece someone has zip tied in as a connection.

Thank all of you again for the input. Any further input from you members that have dealt with similar issues is greatly appreciated.

DSC00399.JPG
DSC00400.JPG
DSC00401.JPG
DSC00402.JPG
DSC00403.JPG
DSC00404.JPG

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
No need to turn the carb at all.
Run the cable straight out of the firewall.
Have a bracket mounted at the 2 carb studs that holds a 90 degree bellcrank allowing it to push on the linkage when the cable is pulled.

This avoids placing the float in a condition where it may dump fuel under hard throttle. Unless your already in that situation then yes rotate the carb.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Throttle bushings ( linkage connection ) are available most anywhere ( summit , jets , eBay , etc) & are fairly universal ( especially to holley) you'll more than likely need an internal vac choke , ( I hate electric chokes)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haaaa......I figured someone would say they hated electric chokes. I know they can be a problem. I might hate one if I install it but I'm sure I hate the set up I now have.

I'm going to study the bell crank set ups. I haven't been able to envision how they work with the cable working north to south and the linkage needing to move east to west. Several people have mentioned bell cranks so I will look into them. The only reason I wanted to turn the carb was because I thought I could somehow have an easier way to redo the linkage. I would rather use a bell crank if I can figure the set up. Would beat moving the carb I think.

RWENUTS how do you know that's a one barrel intake. Can that be swapped out with a two barrel intake (easily) ???

Thanks again to all for making the effort to help out.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
To see how a bellcrank works just make one from cardboard.

The size of the plenum flange and the size of the adaptor neck says 1bbl to me.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Carb swap can cause problems if you do any extreme off road. Have you check the Jeep forums. My older brother ( RIP) used to have the Warm parts business in Reno and did a lot of Jeep V8 swaps and had favorite carbs for different engines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts