Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after 3 years of sitting (job loss)I am looking to put different gears in my rear end and need advise. I have a 67 Camaro with a Ford 9 inch full racing spindle and 373 gears. The back tires are P295/50/15. Motor is 327 with 60 over and the trans is turbo 400 2500 stall. I would like to replace the racing spindle also. Remarks comments are all welcome,

·
Administrator
10,187 Posts
Stickerbush;

Welcome to Hotrodders.com

I edited the thread title. We dont use any form of HELP in thread titles.

Please place some proper information in the thread title. That is better for the membership and the search function on the site

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ford 9 inch

Yea my bad, thought about that after I posted, need it to be more highway freindly.. right now with 373's it runs about 45mph @ 2800 RPM'S, Need to be able to run down the interstate, no racing, but something that when I put my foot down smoke the tires, yet be able to run on highway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it could be off, no speedo in far. I could be wrong on gear too, just going off what I was told. So 3 more questions 1. How do I tell if tack is off? 2 how do I find there gear ratio? 3 recomendations for purchasing what I need?

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
You can hook up another tach from a diagnostic machine and see if they match.

Gear ratio will be on the tag if it's still there and hasn't been changed. The best way is to remove the chunk and count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion gear. Divide the number on the ring gear by the number on the pinion gear.

Contact Jim at www.jdrace.com or call Bruce at Randy's Ring & Pinion ext 5517 for parts. They will get you exactly what you need.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
yes I am a Yukon dealer among many others. You could always remove the pinion support. Mark the ring gear and count the teeth. Divide the pinion teeth as BGH suggested. Just dont loose the pinion shim and make sure it goes back if you put it back together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off I lost my job in 09 making 45,000 a year. during those three years off I went to school and obtained a Microsoft Cerified System Engineer degree which landed me a job @ 75k a year. So yea new read end, gonna need new rubber, and go **** yourself.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Ford Racing M-4204-F31A and a Richmond F9350.
You can get a Timken install kit from Autozone for cheap. You will have to know which carrier bearing you have, and if you have a Daytona style pinion support to get the correct kit.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
So ProStreet whats your recommendation and what will it set me back?
I'm not allowed to sell stuff here. And really to be honest I just post to try and help out. Sometimes my post's are short and to the point,but most of the time I'm at work and I do it in my spare time. I think the 325 ratio would fit your needs pretty well.

Here are some examples...

Yukon.. High performance Yukon Ring & Pinion gear set for Ford 9" in a 3.25 ratio. - YG F9-325

A cheaper set that may whine.. USA Standard Ring & Pinion gear set for Ford 9" in a 3.25 ratio - ZG F9-325

We didnt talk about spline count of your axles.. But here's a 31 spline duragrip with the aggressive set up.Yukon Trac Loc for Ford 9" wtih 31 spline axles. Aggressive Design - YDGF9-31-AG

The aggressive design is set up a little tighter and may chatter a little. I actually have great luck with them not chattering. If thats a concern you can get a "street" design unit and not worry about it.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
First off I lost my job in 09 making 45,000 a year. during those three years off I went to school and obtained a Microsoft Cerified System Engineer degree which landed me a job @ 75k a year. So yea new read end, gonna need new rubber, and go **** yourself.
:confused::confused::confused: What's that about?

I have the aggressive Yukon unit in mine and it doesn't chatter at all. I took a Detroit Locker out and installed the Yukon unit to test it and see if I could break it. So far it's worked great. I've got a 427, 4 speed and 15 inch wide tires and I beat on it pretty good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.