Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I finally have the V8 beetle project (V8 VW Beetle Resource) moved over to our new garage so I can stare at it and day dream again (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/finally-got-v8-beetle-road-327586.html), I've been thinking about a little change of direction for the project.....

I've been looking at all the work I'll have to do to get the body back into shape, fix the rear windows, etc..... I'm too stubborn to admit that I should probably get a different vw body, so I'm thinking about doing a Convertible V8 VW beetle truck...... So what do you guys think???

I actually had a hard top 66 beetle that I was thinking about building a truck out of so maybe this way I could get the convertible and truck all in one.... LOL I know I could build a simple bed using the VW fenders with a nice wood floor MUCH easier than doing all the body work to get the back end of the VW body back in shape, and I think it could be pretty nice looking too.

Here is what it looked like the last time the bug was mostly put together:

And here is a drawing of what kind of envisioned it looking like:

Here I borrowed the bed of a picture of another beetle truck:

And a few modified drawings:

So let me know what you guys think.

To see picture of the build up to this point check out my website at: V8 VW Beetle Resource- Follow our Hot Rod Beetle Build and Plan Yours

·
More for Less Racer
19,342 Posts
As I read the description of your idea, I thought "yuck, won't look good", but the rendering surprised me, it looks like an intriguing idea ;)

Only thing I would think would look a little better is to raise the bed height a bit, so that it matches the hood line on profile and not the door top line, right now it makes the nose look "heavy" or "bulbous".

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ericnova72:
Yeah I struggled with the bed height a bit. I think for the most part its the 2d drawing that makes it look unbalanced. The hood is only that height in the very center, and I'm afraid if the bed was much taller it would look "off" being taller than the doors, especially with the top down.

Here is a hard top beetle truck, I think it looks pretty sharp. I wouldn't be chopping the top though:

BuzzLOL:
I've though about trying to incorporate a bit of the look of the rear VW hood into the tail gate.

timothale:
Definitely different, I might be able to incorporate the curve of the rear VW hood into the back of the bed and have something a little less extreme. I'd have to have an open top bed though, I'm also a woodworker so I'll have to show off a pretty wooden floor in the bed.....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Where do you live

Heh.

How is your project going? Mine has been on hold, but I'mready to start up again. I moved to Crystal Lake, Illinois this past October. How far are you from here? Tom, project V8Square

1 - 6 of 6 Posts