Hot Rod Forum banner

Change of Plans for 350 rebuild !

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  56wagon 
#1 ·
Guys, I've been working my fanny off doing side jobs to afford to do this right.

I pulled the engine two nights ago and boy what a mess. Cracked heads, leaking front cover (wrong one) not to mention mismatched intake manifold and 283 heads!!!. Peeked into the cyl. thru the exst. and pistons look like low compression type. I gave the hulk to my shop to disassemble, hot tank and check over.

Please look over my proposed build list and tell me where I'm right or wrong. I'm still on a budget but want to do it right.

1. Block - reconditioned 68 350
2. Carb - EDL-1406 Edlebrock 600cfm elec. choke
3. Intake Manifold - World Products Sportsman II aka Dart I
4. Heads - World Products S/R #043600-1 these are for hydraulic, 1.94"X1.500", 76cc, 1.25 springs, .560 = max lift.
5. Cam - EDL - 2102 Edlebrock #2102 duration at .050 in: .204/.214, .420/.442 lift

I want to stick with the orig. iron exst. manifold.

If the above shopping list looks good, than all I need is the deck height and bore info. for piston rebuild...right?

Your help greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hellow I think your block is fine even better if it a short stroke.

Carbs fine. pistons 11 to 1 Aluminum.

Intake look in carb holes.If there equal in dept.Its a good intake.if not look for one that
is.

Heads Change to 202 bowties ore look for heads
with big valves. Bigger valves than the ones you have. like this(00)not this(oo)and triple spring
the valves.

Cams and lifters I perfer Crane cames or Twisted Wedge. I also perfer equal Lift and Duration like
lift 467"/467" Duration 222/222.and hydraulic lifters.

example My 350 short stroke has 202 heads,crane
cam,Rochester carb 4 bbl.It pegs out at 9800rpms
by the sun tack thats on it.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Hey there, partner. Try Aerohead Racing heads for your build-up. They are only $400 for the pair and work on my stock .030 over 350 short block like a champ (specs: 64cc chambers//.560 lift capacity//2.02--1.60 valves//3 angle valve job//compression with stock flat-top pistons is approx. 10.0-1). I'm using a Herbert Performance solid lift cam and lifters (cost: $126//specs: 2500-7000 rpm range//.520-.521 lift//.280-.290 duration advertised//.240-.250 duration at .050). I topped this off with a Holley Street Dominator dual-plane manifold and a Holley 4150 700cfm double-pumper. I also have the complete MSD ignition system. The car runs consistent 8.3's in the eigth mile at 80 mph and winds to 6,000+ rpm's with no problem. This engine has had over 200 passes at the strip with no problems. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Guys, you have given me good info. Did more research and got excellent support from Jeg's. Here is what I did:

1. reconditioned my old 350 block and crank. Block will be bored .40 over.
2. S/R Torquer heads w/ 67cc chambers and 2.02 x 1.6 valves.
3. Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold (non-erg)
4. 795cfm Quadrajet elec. choke
5. Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam dur.=204-214, gross lift = .280 - .295 w 112 deg. lobe separation.
6. Federal-Mogul Hypertectic pistons (4 valve relief).

I'll have the rotating assy' balanced.

So? What do you all think? Any guesses on HP? I'm thinking it will be a solid 310hp and very good on low rpm torque.

Thanks in advance

PS - if ONLY my daddy was a motorhead, I'd know what's up!

#7 ·
I would stick with the 2.02 heads(better breathing). But reddwarf made a good point, that's a lot of carb for such a mild cam and performer manifold. If you're gonna go with that much carb get a better intake and hotter cam. Also looks like a typing error, with 204,214 duration at.050" I would think your lift should be around .420 to .440 or so (didn't se that in your post). I'm running 218,228 deg. at .050" with .471" lift, 114 deg lobe separation with a dual plane manifold. With only a 600cfm holley it smokes the back tires any time. With that much carb you need to let that engine breathe.

#8 ·
OK, I must have fat fingered it.

Here is the cam spec.:
Duration at .050 lift: intake 204 exh 214 lobe sep. 112

Lift at cam: intake .280 exh .295 intake centerline 107

lift at valve: intake .420 exh .443

What intake change do you suggest? Performer RPM Q-Jet or evn the (2601) air gap?

My mechanic says that the quadrajet is a good option. I guess his rational is that the primarys are conservative for running around town and he can tune the secondary throttle plate to make nice HP without over doing it. Does that make sense?

Does this make better sense now that I gave the right info. on the cam?

I still have the orig. 56 axel so even though I could I'd better chill out on smoking the tires until I can afford better. (darn).

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: 56wagon ]

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: 56wagon ]</p>

#9 ·
The Q-jet is good for street for the reason you said.

Personally, I just think that the 2.02" valves are more at home with more RPM than your manifold and cam are good for. I feel that the 1.94" valves would be a better match to your combination.

#10 ·
We all have diff. sugestions, that's what it's all about, but if it was me I would go with the 2.02 heads and bump that cam up a bit. Corvettes came with 2.02 heads and it's not like they came with monster cams, tunnel rams, and 1050 dominator carbs. They had 2.02 heads with stock manifolds and Q-jet carbs. Also if you set the motor up head and cam wise you can experiment with different intake and carb set-ups fairly easy without major engine dissasembly. Just me.

#11 ·
This is going to be a good test than. I've ordered the above setup w/ 2.02 valves and mild cam etc. done deal as they say. Just got the carb yesterday and sent the crank out for turning...that puppy was starting to show copper. It was pretty well thrashed.

Thanks so much guys, this is good stuff. I'll definately follow up with impressions of this build and any lessons learned.

#12 ·
Originally posted by dmorris1200:
<strong>I would go with the 2.02 heads and bump that cam up a bit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If using the 2.02" valves, I would also recommend going bigger on the cam, as I said before. Big valves favor higher RPM, so why not tap into that more by using a cam designed for a bit higher RPM band? That's all I was saying.

#13 ·
You guys are hitting on all 8 cyls! I can not get the world products heads. Due to popular vote (here) I decided to fish rather than cut bait.

Ordered the Edelbrock Performer heads and an xtreme energy cam similar to what a couple of you recommened. I wanted to stick with the 9.5:1 compression and the cam recommended by the shop was a 249-cl12-238-2. this has .462/.469 lift and duration @ .050 is 218/224 and lobe separation is 110 degrees.

I'm sending the Edlebrock performer plus cam back.

Thanks guys.

#15 ·
Hey guys, anticipation is killing me. Can someone do a desk top dyno on my setup? Man I'm so pumped.

1. Quadrajet 795
2. Edlebrock Performer intake
3. Edlebrock Performer 64cc heads
4. xtreme energy cam: .462/.469 lift and duration @ .050 is 218/224 and lobe separation is 110 degrees
5. Flatop Hypereutectic .60 pistons
6. Block is normal deck height and bored .60 over.

Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.