Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my oil pump in my 1973 El Camino and upgraded to the Melling high output pump. After installing this and running I have oil pressure again a whopping 65lbs at idle but there is a noise that sounds as if its coming from the shaft but everything seemed to go together just fine and lined up with the shaft as it slid together. did i miss something or what is there any other way to check other than pulling the pan again??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unless is a race engine with a great bearing clearance, i would put stock oil pump in it, high volume/pressure pump could damage cam and distributor gear due to the big load on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well so far I have got the exhaust upgraded with headers and crossovers to the flow masters, a mild rv cam, a street fire HEI distributer, an edlebrock 600 carb and performer intake, waiting to get enough to get some nice heads. So its not exactly a stock motor. I just cant seem to figure out what the ticking noise is. I was wondering if i pulled the distributer and set it back if i might reset that shaft? or is this a normal sound with this pump.

·
JS-70
1,300 Posts
You need to make sure your shaft on the oil pump and the driveshaft is not too long. Did you drop dizzy in with out gasket and makes sure it bottomed out with a little clearance left? What intermediate shaft you running? does it need a nylon coupler? Did you put a new one in?

·
Registered
213 Posts
usually, oil pump manufacturers reccomend to use a hardened steel shaft with steel sleve instead the nylon plastic ones we usually use for stock engines, maybe the clicking noise you're hearing is caused by the little sleev? don't think so, anyway as "racing " engine i meant those with a larger clearance on main journals and rods, they need a high volume pump to compensate the loss of oil due to the lower restriction, with a stock one, you wouldn't ensure proper oil film between metal parts.
Hope OldBogie will see this post, i'm pretty sure he can figure this problem out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts