Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, new topic, I've owned a 1955 Buick for over 20 years, it's been restored, it still needs a little bit but all in all it's not a bad car. I was talking to a fellow last night and he has a 1956 olds that has the same body style as mine, and we got to talking about motors and transmissions. His has a hydramatic with an open driveshaft where mine has a dynaflow with a closed driveshaft,my question is could a hydramatic from an olds mhook up to a buick v8 so I can use the open driveshaft? Small explanation;the dynaflow has a torque ball seal at the end of the tailshaft and the beginning of the driveshaft., inside there is a neoprene seal that keeps fliud in,but over a period of time this seal will dry out and crack causing fliud to leak out. To change this seal you have to unbolt, drop down and pull back the entire rearend, this is quite an undertaking when you have a small garage and limited equipment. Now you can se why I want to go to an open driveshaft? Again I appreciateall your help, thanks and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
You would need a Buick to hydramatic adapter. They were marketed back in the mid/late sixties. Haven't seen one since. The starters/flywheels, belhousing bolt patterns and depth are different. The trans crossmember, linkages and rear end all would have to be changed. It would be cheaper in the long run to change the seal.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Tranny options

Another option would be to start at the engine and convert the entire system clear back to the drive shaft. There are a lot of Buick engines and transmissions out there looking for a new home.

If Iwere going to go to all the hassle to convert over for a transmission, I would just upgrade the entire drive train, and probably for a lot less $$$$$$$$$.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts